Oldracer22 says HELLO from Indiana

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldracer22

Hello,
I've been lurking here for a while and figured I ought to introduce myself. I built my first hot rod in 1968, a 1929 Ford Pickup. It was a rat rod before the name was even invented. Then I got out of building hot rods and started racing. I drag raced the '29 for a while, then switched to flat track motorcycle racing. Then go kart racing, then went dirt late model racing for about 12 years. Then played owner and crew chief for my son gokart racing for about 9 years, then owner and crewchief for my son's sprint car racing for about 6 years. Then after looking at all the late model dirt car parts laying around the shop, I decided to build a hot rod for myself. I just finished my 1927 model T roadster, using most of the running gear from the old late model, quickchange, 4 wheel disk brakes, wide five hubs all around, aluminum driveshaft and a lot of other parts. 440hp 383, 2075#. It runs pretty good. It was scratch built at home.
I have about 45 years of experience with hot cars. Maybe I can contribute something to this great forum.
Building cars is like a disease, once its in your blood there is no cure.

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 33
Welcome to the RRR!!!

Glad you quit lurking and we can always use the experience around here....nice ride....look forward to future stuff....nice to have another Oldie but Goodie....lol...[cl

I have been trying all day to upload some more pictures of the T, but all I get is "file failed to upload". I got the same results last night, except for the one picture that I was able to post. I am pretty computer illiterate and am stumped. I am a lot better at building cars. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks,Jim

OK, I think I got it figured out. Here are a few more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1233 (3).jpg
    IMG_1233 (3).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1234 (2).jpg
    IMG_1234 (2).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1235 (3).jpg
    IMG_1235 (3).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 19
Old Iron, Funny you should ask about the spindles. Very few people pick up on that. I wore out the internet looking for spindles to mount the wide 5 hubs on a straight axle. Apparently there is no such animal. So, being determined to use the wide5 LM hubs, I had to engineer my own. I started with the 49-54 chev spindles. I cut the axle snout off the LM A-arm spindles which is a lot bigger diameter than the Chev. Then I turned the inside of the LM to theOD of the Chev seal land. Then fabricated 2 washers from
1/2" plate to fit the bearing surface of the Chev and the ID of the LM snout. Then slid them on the chev spindle and welded them in the bearing position. Slid the LM snout over them and welded them to the Chev at the seal land. Of course, I then had to engineer my own caliper bracket. That was tougher than modifying the spindles. It was worth the effort though. I believe I now have the only set of spindles like them in the world.

The front end was modeled after a sprint car front end, except a sprint car is a straight axle and I used a 4" drop. Those wide 5 hubs caused a lot of problems. Spindles, caliper brackets, even the wheels had to be custom made. I could get 10" to 14" wide wheels, but nothing in the 6" size. The coilover front suspension along with coilovers on the quickchange rear end make the car handle like a race car. I believe it will handle right with my C5. I am very satisfied with it overall.

Cool ride and welcome to the site.

What part of the state you from? I'm in northern Madison county.

Latest posts

Back