Olds V8 camshaft selection

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corsair

My truck has a stock Olds 455, with headers and duals and a fairly mild Edelbrock intake. The cam is still stock Olds. She makes great torque, but I thought I might try a bigger cam - mainly for more interesting noises.

Has anybody tried a "thumper' series cam from Comp for their (insert brand) V8?

Any other off - the - shelf stuff that has a good rumpity sound, but not requiring a ton of extra parts to accomodate increased lift eg, aftermarket roller rockers?

Crane and Bullet were two cam companies I was looking into.

TIA,

Ian

was thinking about the same style cam as a thumper for my big block olds too. let me know how it works out for you what ever you use. we used to run the factory w-30's cams for street years ago, they had a good racey idle to them and made pretty good power, but that design is from the 60's.

A lot of the Buick guys are using hardware from a company that caters to Buicks. I know there are many using the Buick 455. Not sure if there is any crossover between Buick and Olds and Pontiac, but you could call TA Performance and inquire. I understand they are quite helpful on the phone, and no doubt have had the same question asked of them before.

ta has nothing for the olds, but it is either ken or keith black that does the olds. there is also a oldsmobile performace site/forum on the web, been there before just don't remember the name.

We put a Comp Cam 280H in my Sons RPU that has a 468 Olds in it, and he was worried that it wouldn't have the sound he wanted (his Brother has a 306 Ford roller engine in his T with a Ford Racing X cam and Dan wanted his Olds to sound at least that lumpy. Here is how it ended up sounding, and he is very relieved that the cam is exactly what he wanted:

Don

Here is what it sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dhdh71#p/a/u/2/eq2IHg-QE34

You can actually hear it a little better in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dhdh71#p/a/u/0/R-j2Q75Y4b0

hey don did yall build them headers? they look like sandersons new jaysters. either way i likw them.

Mondello is the Oldsmobile man, but you can't go wrong with a modern Comp Cam. Best bet is to call them up and just let them pick it.

It's very lumpy. :D Like 440Clark suggests, call Comp Cams (or cam maker of your choice) and let them advise you. That is what I did when we selected the 280H one. I told the guy what was done to the motor, what gears in the rear, and that Dan wanted a cam that would out idle his Brothers SBF with an X cam :)D) and they told me we would love the one we picked. They were right.

I know that some engine builders use a different criteria for choosing a cam, but most of us hot rodders want something that lets people know there is a cam in there..........lumpier the better. Yesterday while we were at the Street Rod Nats in Tampa lots of cars would cruise through, and some sounded as stock as a new Lexus. But then one would come through sounding like Don Garlits dragster and everyone would take note, and smile a little. :D

Don

It's very lumpy. :D Like 440Clark suggests, call Comp Cams (or cam maker of your choice) and let them advise you. That is what I did when we selected the 280H one. I told the guy what was done to the motor, what gears in the rear, and that Dan wanted a cam that would out idle his Brothers SBF with an X cam :)D) and they told me we would love the one we picked. They were right.

I know that some engine builders use a different criteria for choosing a cam, but most of us hot rodders want something that lets people know there is a cam in there..........lumpier the better. Yesterday while we were at the Street Rod Nats in Tampa lots of cars would cruise through, and some sounded as stock as a new Lexus. But then one would come through sounding like Don Garlits dragster and everyone would take note, and smile a little. :D

Don

Thats what hotroddin' is all about!!!

i was thinking about the comp cams 292 for mine, i run one in a sb ghevy and it's all there.

I know that some engine builders use a different criteria for choosing a cam, but most of us hot rodders want something that lets people know there is a cam in there.......... :D

Don

So what would you use to open the valves if you didnt put a cam in there? Lol. I couldnt resist. Sorry!!

Latest posts

Back