One step forward one step back

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha yeah I was welding up a hand rail for the porch the other say and got than familiar something aint right feeling. a look down and my pant leg is on fire again

Progress!

SO after spending 10am to 2am yesterday in the garage I got some done on mine and the tbucket too. (brake line flarer, heavy wall stainless, and a torch is bad ideah but works). we got the fuel line flared on the tbucket and the tank finish mounted. the ebrake lines are secured and the roll bar is bolted in for the last time we can only hope. On my 44 rpu got the axle cleaned up and converted to transverse spring without those fancy brackets some guys bolt on ( no hard feelings ). I was worried about clearence with the 7" Z so I`m gonna mount tires and wheels before mounting the perch, thats why I only made the plate with the help of my mom . Thats right credit is due thanks ma. the axle is mounted backwards to push my steering forwards. All is only tacked. now for Picks

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 64
With all the holes in your chassis have you had any warping issues? It seems like that 2x3 tubing it had a tendency to move on my chassis when I welded it. Just curious and you project is looking sweet!

the sring , shacles , pivots are speedway. and the mounts are noxious customs. cheap and nice nice guy too he has an ebay store and a site

Attachments

• 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 65
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 77
thanks 7256. no warp that I could detect but I skipped around and let it cool. TOOK FOREVER! but I`d weld about 1/3 of every hole on one side then work on my buddysfor a bit . mines 2x4 and a lil of 1/8 think if i remember right. my buddys was thinner with smaller and fewer holes but they tigged alot of the holes.

well the axle looks a little better , I went ahead and painted what I could while I was replacing seals and bearings . ignore the mock wheels and tie rod

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 52
Are you looking at ground clearance? When I first put my frame on the floor with the engine on it I estimated to have a 6" with a 2" drop front perch and ended up with the oil pan on the floor with a 1" board under the front wheels. So it was change that to stock perch and shorter oil pan for 5" of pan clearance, 6" to frame.

The front springs fool you when not weighted.. But you know that already.

Well I like where it all is right now but I'm layn frame haha so the perch mount will be 1-2 inches from the top of the front crossmember putting me at 6inches un sprung in the front . Guess I shouldn't have went with the 7inch "z" but it fits the cab so much better! All is just tack and the z part are cut at 90* to make any changes later on easy

front perch

well i got my front perch made and tacked on. not what I envisioned but I`m happy with it and I set my unsprung highth at 7" hoping for about 5 with motor and body

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 90
44 gmc

well I havent given up or anything I`m just waiting till I`m a little futher along to post pics. The motor/tranny is mounted and I made some trick body mounts but only have the rear on at the moment. when the frame is all tacked together I`ll get a good pic

starting to look like a truck again.

well I got the rear frame kicked up today. tuffest part is tring to make my new frame fit the back section I had already made and make the bed fit. saddly if I would have built a correct frame instead of a late model frame I would have been done about a year ago. so here is a few pics of the bed just setting on there . the 1.5"x3" frame under it and the 1" square that is bolted in it were made on the last frame. What a pain in the ass.

Attachments

• 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 57
  • 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 53
A few Naked pics of the frame

a few are of the frame and one is a close up on my tranys mount. a ruff measure ment says 128" on the wheelbase and about 154" on the whole truck.

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
and a few pics with its clothes on

the fram is just on floor jacks and I snapped a few before i left for the night.

Attachments

• 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 61
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 57
Looks like a good build!
It's interesting to see others figuring out their frames and kick ups etc. Can't wait to get that far on mine too.
I liked the use of the old pinion gear type jack you are using to hold the frame during mock up. I found one the those recently myself in an old COE I just got.

Latest posts

Back