One step forward one step back

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
small up date.

I started mounting the rear end and not having found tubing for my radius rods is a real hold up! the springs are 1600lb hope they work. its setting at 4" on the rear cab corners off the ground haha. the frame is at 5.5" there. little lower than I wanted with no passengers but the motor is there. the roof is at 4'5" haha thats what the last picture was for I`m 5'9" for scale. and the grill and lights are just leaned up so yes I know they look bad crooked

Attachments

• IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1173.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 95
Is that 1600 lb. or 160 lb. springs? The overall look is great, proportions are dead on to me!! I like it!!
Keep us posted on you're progress!

If that is 1600, (they don't look like that) it would be WAAAY too much!!
At 160 lbs. it would be close (maybe enough) might be a little light!

thanks guys

I also scored a couple of seats that slide but not fold I would like an ID if anyone recognizes them. for $20 no rips or tears in them! hoping they will fit the cab better than the chevy tracker back seat i was gonna use. the box said 1600lb trailer overload springs. they drop almost an inch under the truck weight but jumping up and down they dont collapse too bad. you can get them at advanced auto parts for about $60 I paid $5 at a liquidators.

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 19
yeah me and a friend thought van cause of the metal box under neith. Not alot to post so i`ll save the pictures for next week. I did go to the local metal and scrap yard looking for tubing for my radius rods. they had some that was perfect! 7/8 .155 wall with about a 9/16 inside diameter ! too bad it was pipe and not tubing! :mad: guy said it was sched 80 black pipe. never seen black pipe with that thick of a wall before. well the search continues. converted a set of bat wings for the rear axle and did alot of measuring. oh used a spare set of wheels for mock up haha.

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 54
I like the grille and light placement tight like that. Don't even think of using those rims - biggin's can be cool, just not those!

4" on the cab corners will probably be good. I don't know what your WB is - I've been cruising my Olds (125WB) at 3-4" and haven't had a problem except turning into a steep parking lot or alley. And my fenders stick out farther than that cab.

If you find you need height in the rear, can't you weld in a inch or so spacer above the springs?

thanks guys

128" on the wheelbase and I could probably space the springs if I want so we shall see. The issue of finding 7/8 .156 wall in my area is a hold up on the frame so I`m gonna make radius rods out of plywood to stop axle movements till i find what i`m looking for. the grill look pretty hard core in front of the 1st frame but with the axle in front of it i think it takes away . guess tomorrow i`ll work on the cab and screw around with the seats. oh and I realy considered the "dubs"(hate that word) but I`d need adapter up front so slotted mags out back and turbines up front .

44 gmc

Well I didn't think out my rear suspensio right I guess cause I was gonna use a wishbone and radius rods which didn't work cause the rod prevent the axle twist the wish bone needs duh! So back to the drawing board hate to ditch the bone but a panhard is looking like an easy way out

I kinda did the same thing using a diagonal bar with my 4 link. Everything cycled OK because I left the bolts loose, but it wasn't going to work when done, so I changed to a panhard bar too.

I really would like to weld the sh!t out of everything, but not until I'm done...

Link bar question

The top rad rods and lowers angle should intersect for all to work right. My mini truck buddy confirmed it's the front bumper which I thought was the front wheels. Hotrodder site said the middle and not that I put my mind to it the pat that matters the most is the drive shaft so shouldn't it be at the 1st u-joint? Any suggestions or thoughts?

The top rad rods and lowers angle should intersect for all to work right. My mini truck buddy confirmed it's the front bumper which I thought was the front wheels. Hotrodder site said the middle and not that I put my mind to it the pat that matters the most is the drive shaft so shouldn't it be at the 1st u-joint? Any suggestions or thoughts?

I have set up my stuff to intersect at or near the bellhousing area.
You get good rise and good traction.
Of course, everything is subjective such as tires, HP and a dozen other variables, so I made mine with a few adjusting holes.

44 gmc

Finally I can move on with the frame! it took me long to order my my parts from Eztbucket than it did for him to make and ship them! haha. Well my parts came in and I`m pleased. just need to knock down the plasma marks with a flap disk on my friction shocks and mount those suckers. the order was for shocks, front radius rods, and two rear links. Very happy with what I recieved.!

Attachments

• IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 20
44 gmc

a few pictures of my folding seats. mine has the pin through it cause Ineed to be able to reach the battery trap door if I have to. my wifes has 2 3/8" grade 8 bolts in the back instead for more storage room. All bolts are grade 8 and there is an industrial piano hinge on the front. mine used a piston wrist pin on the back to lock it down

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1237.jpg
    IMG_1237.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 20
44 gmc taillights

To pass some time i made soem tail lights too bad the FN lens broke ! so now I`m looking for a matchin lens from a 30s something or other. They are 2.3 liter pistons(same as the engine I`m using) I used the wristpins to mount them to some scrap flat stock. and all the wires will run through the pins , to the stake pockets, and under the bed all hidden. the lens were a flea market find so I hope I find a match.ps torch a wrist pin to suck the temper out before you try and drill it !

Attachments

• IMG_1245.jpg
    IMG_1245.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 43
thats a cool idea.....

To pass some time i made soem tail lights too bad the FN lens broke ! so now I`m looking for a matchin lens from a 30s something or other. They are 2.3 liter pistons(same as the engine I`m using) I used the wristpins to mount them to some scrap flat stock. and all the wires will run through the pins , to the stake pockets, and under the bed all hidden. the lens were a flea market find so I hope I find a match.ps torch a wrist pin to suck the temper out before you try and drill it !

there are several sites that have lights, lens and such.... like speedway or tail light king and some of the others, ebay.......may have what you need...

Latest posts

Back