One wire distributor on 72 429 Ford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

I am ordering a 0* timing gear set up for my 429 today, and ran across the wire distributor online. I've been told that using the 0* set up in a 72 429 needs to be followed up with a recurved distributor to make the change better. Anyone have any experience with these distributors, and timing set ups? Brief run down... I have the 72 model D2V heads ,and folks say to go with this setup to wake this motor up.

When I was running my '70 429 with slightly ported DOVE heads, (didn't touch the combustion chambers) I ran a 10* initial timing with a total of 30* at 3,500 rpm. That was on "premium" 93 octane gas in a 4,000 pound pickup. Any more than that and it would detonate. Since I've ported the heads a bit more and changed the intake system up, and have it in a vehicle about half the weight, I haven't had it on the road yet. There's just so many factors to consider on the timing. Fuel system, weight of vehicle, rear end ratio...... Without a dyno to play with, it's pretty much a guessing game to start. Here's a link that may help on your timing.

http://www.429-460.com/t18156-carb-tuning-timing

Good luck and post your findings after getting it lined out. I can use all the help I can get.

Attachments

• 0917131719.jpg
    0917131719.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 9
The '72 model 429 was built stock with a 8* retarded timing gear to begin with. All motor before we're built with a 0* timing gear from what I've read. It has a points distributor in it right now, and I was planning on getting the one wire distributor with the ignition built into it. I was told if I change the timing gear set up to the older model 429 , I would need to either recurve the distributor or have it recurved. Tis will be just a stock 429 motor with aluminum intake ,600 Holley, and headers. Not street thumper by any means. I know these heads are open chamber heads and are prone to detonation. I am trying to get a little more power out of the stock set up though.

All the work in the world isn't going to help as long as you run those crap smog heads. The worst head ever made for a BBF, they are boat anchors.

All the work in the world isn't going to help as long as you run those crap smog heads. The worst head ever made for a BBF, they are boat anchors.

Ok, I think I said that in my original post. And I agree that they are not the most desirable heads to use. But, I'm not looking for opinions on the heads, I'm looking for answers to my question .

Ok...maybe I'm missing something here...

you are putting a straight up timing set in...zero no advance/no retard....you want to use a one wire dist...if it's open chamber heads which apparently are low compression big chamber heads, I'm wondering why you think it's going to experience spark knock if you set up the base timing at a resonable point.? ..most out of the box HEI type dist's don't have a crazy advance curve so if I were you, I'd put the timing set on, drop in the dist and then see how things progress from there....if you find that the timing is coming in too quick then I'd worry about having it recurved but frankly, I think you'll find it works out just fine.....JMHO....my real question is this.....if the cam is designed to run an 8degree retard from the factory, how well will it work if you make it zero? I'm not a big Ford guy so forgive me if I'm seeming a bit baffled.....I've degreed cams in a number of Pontiacs 2 or 4 degrees with offset keys...(didn't have these fancy gear sets back then with adjustable cams built in)..and a few other big blocks but I've never heard that Ford retarded their cams from the factory.....especially 8degree's...that would be a serious detune for sure.....again...jmho.... :D

I think I am going to just try the distibutor put of the box first and see how it runs. And like you , I'm not a big Ford guy either, I'm a Harley guy and diesel mechanic. Hahaha. But I have had several tell me to go to the 0* timing set up . I think in 72 Ford was trying to make cars and trucks with all that comformed to all the smog regulations being implemented in 72. I want to run the motor stock with a new timing set up and distributor, then maybe late next year yank it back out, put some D0VE heads on it, along with the right pistons,cam and intake. Then it will make some power.

Me thinks you are on the right path....

Nothing wrong with Harleys and big rigs....my youngest is shop foreman for a trucking firm....keeps him busy for sure....as my mother used to say..nothing ventured....nothing gained......

Latest posts

Back