Opinion / advice needed on rear end

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonegonzo

I fell back into hot rods after taking a 25 year break in the action and WOW , what a change .

I'm building a fenderless , 50 Chevy hot rod pickup .

I'm ready for the rear end so as to build the new chassis. I was shocked to find mostly front wheel drive stuff in the junk yards . I did however run across a few rear ends but need the strait dope on them .

One is out of a Ford Ranger . I do have Chevy wheels and would have to have the bolt circle re-drilled . Is this a particularly good rear end that it would be worth it ?

The second is out of a 95 Buick Roadmaster . Does anyone know anything about these Buick rear ends ? Too big etc ?

The third and last is out of an 89 Trans Am . I've heard this is a forgien made rear end ( Aussy). Are they a good rear end ? One plus is it's the correct bolt pattern .

I'm powering the truck with a 250 CU Chevy.

Thank you in advance ,
Gonzo

If your running a I-6, Id go with best fits my needs an least amount of work because twisting something is not gonna be as of a issue.

I believe the rangers had the weaker 8.8 rear with the 28 spline axles, weaker than the mustang and other ford 8.8s which I think had 31 spline axles.. Can;t help much on the other rear ends...

Latest posts

Back