opinion needed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougnDog

I'm thinking[S I might change the wheels on my rod ?? what do you guys think. going to narrow wire painted red. these are 16" in this picture but would like to go with 17" or taller. Are the 19" on a "A" a realistic wheel to run on a every day rod like mine? I do drive every day it does not rain.please give me your opinions and Ideas....Thanks Doug

Attachments

• CIMG2663.jpg
    CIMG2663.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 61
  • CIMG2662.jpg
    CIMG2662.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 55
  • PICT0047.JPG
    PICT0047.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 58
  • PICT0048.JPG
    PICT0048.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 48
  • PICT0049.JPG
    PICT0049.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 49
Definately looks better with the spokes, you'll have to ask others about the practicality I've never ran them before. But then I'm not a fan of smoothies either.

19" Model A wires are a little too weak to run in modern pwered applications IMO. If you want a taller wire that still has a '35 style basket you can use '33-'34 wheels which are 17", or '32 which are 18". Just remember the taller the wheel the farther your ride gets off the ground, and tire sizes become more limited and more costly.

I would like to be able to run model A wheels too, b/c they look cool and are cheap, but - not strong enough and not enough rubber on the road for modern speeds.

I'd say the spokes are my vote. I believe Wheel Vintiques makes wires in sizes up to 18" but they are not exactly cheap.

I ran 19" wire wheels on the front of my truck. 454/400 puts alot of weight on em, and not a whole lot of cushion in the tires. I wouldnt do it again with a heavy motor. It steered pretty easy though, once rolling.

thanks for the info and advice.....my suspension is set up so I can adjust it up pretty easy I was looking to some day put bigger wheels on it when I built it....

Love the spoke look, I think it would be killer if wheels/spokes were red to match up the frame and strip.[P

That car is great either way. Thanks again for the info you gave when I started building mine.

Latest posts

Back