Opinion Time

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soltz

The Rat Captain
So, My question is - is flat, satin, semi-gloss black paint overdone? And as a replacement, semi-gloss O.D. [S

I would like to know what you's guys thinks[S

Thanks and if your reading this today, "happy Thanksgiving", remember moderation is the word. [cl

Went to the mall yesterday and every other car in the parking lot was painted flat black with red rims. Not really of course, but how about perspective. In general, no. At the average car show, probably not. At a pre-'65 custom and rod show, maybe.

If you're asking about your Camino, I'd go flat black over ODG. But if you wanna go flat, how about a dark blue or evergreen?

I'm on the tired side of flat black but, it looks killer
About anything different right now would strike my fancy

Last edited:
Turkey and stuffing for Thanksgiving.........that's overdone too but I sure ate a bunch of it today :p Just because flat/satin black is overdone doesn't mean it don't look good.....quite the opposite actually or it wouldn't be done so much right [S

Satin black or any satin color for that matter is hard to beat in my opinion. :cool:

It's just me....

I like satin COLORS. I also am kinda tired of satin and flat black, Around here, every late model car in different states of disrepair is painted flat black! AND.....it magically becomes a "RATROD"!:(:(

Lynn

Do you like satin black? Do you think your El camino would look good satin black? I think if you go with it, the right wheel and tire combo is very important and maybe some heavy pin striping would be great. Go with your gut,...that's what matters.

Personally I am leaning toward glow in the dark, emitting radiation, neon green. If you are going to make a statement, MAKE a statement!

And moderation is for Monks.

Timothy

Thanks guys
Daughter kinda wants OD, I'm leaning toward satin black or maybe just mother natures favorite color, I'm striping most all the paint off any way [S

I never get tired of flat black, but prefer my primer gray. It stands out a bit and it is a little cooler on a sunny day.
As a southerner I was taught by an uncle who sold cars. We were on the lot one day and there were rows of vehicles that had been baking in the sun all day. You could really tell the difference putting your hand on the hood of a metallic silver one vs. The same model in navy blue.
If I ever see fit to repaint mine It would probably end up spray can urban camo, though, for lack of cash, skills and tools.

I'm missing something, what are you talking about when you say OD?

OD - Olive Drab. As in Olive Drab Green, the color used by the military.

My frank opinion of ODG on a Camino - you can easily slip into it looking like it was slapped together by some rural halfwit. Kinda like doing 'murder black' on a car can quickly end up looking like it was done by a urban halfwit.

If not done very well, it falls apart quick.

OD - Olive Drab. As in Olive Drab Green, the color used by the military.

My frank opinion of ODG on a Camino - you can easily slip into it looking like it was slapped together by some rural halfwit. Kinda like doing 'murder black' on a car can quickly end up looking like it was done by a urban halfwit.

If not done very well, it falls apart quick.

OK Sam what the hell is "murder black"?
and who you calling a halfwit[S

OK Sam what the hell is "murder black"?
and who you calling a halfwit[S

"murder black" "murder/murdered" "spray bombed" all the same, paint over everything with black. And when I say everything I mean everything, tape off the windows at best or just razor off the overspray from the glass.

I always liked the cream color primer dusted with black.

Latest posts

Back