Opinions needed Tire Sizes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyrat

Got Fins?
I've looked at what I had on the truck previously, and took some measurements before selling the wheel/tire combo I had. Rears measured 28" OA height, and the fronts were 27.1" OA height by the numbers (215/70/15)

So in seeing I had less than an inch difference in height overall front to rear, I think I could get away with running a 295/50/15 (26.8 Overall height), and a 26" front tire (215/65/15) and still have just about the same look.

Reason I am going down this path is the cost of the tires, I can get these sizes much cheaper than a 28" Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R radial.

So I guess I need some thoughts on it, I want a streetable truck with tires that are not $245 a piece on the rear... (I think these rears will be about $175ea, but I have to have my local tire place quote them tomorrow)

The tread patterns would match and would look like this:
mft-39720_w.jpg

I've run the 295/50/15's on three different vehicles....for the same reason. The best luck I had was with Maxxis tires. They wore great, had really good traction, and were good in the wet. They cost me about $150 each at the local Goodyear dealer. Just my $.02 :D

I like a 26" on back with a 24" on front for a slight rubber rake. I have 255/60/15 and 215/60/15 on the Lincoln, same tires I ran on the Maverick.

Thanks guys, I'll be getting some quotes tomorrow, the local Belle Tire takes great care of us so I want to try to buy from them if I can. They should be able to get the Coopers or the Mastercrafts I think.

I'll keep you posted... still need to get some better paint on the wheels too...

That is what I am going to have them order as long as there is not a crazy shipping fee.
They don't stock the GT series tires, but they are available in the sizes I am looking for, about $15 a piece cheaper than Summit for the rears and about the same price for the fronts...

Now to get some paint on those wheels after christmas...

Don't mean to hijack, but I too need some cheap fat meats! The N50/15's I have now are 30 years old with no tread wear but they're dry rotted. They measure 27" overall height and 12" wide tread. Not looking forward to spending $500 on a pair of skins! 295/50's would probably do. Could you guys post some specific info on where to buy some decent tires? Thanks in advance!

An N50/15 is equivalent to a 345/50/15 (Approved Rim 8.0-11.0, Measuring Rim 10.0, Sidewall Width 14.1, Tread Width 11.8, Overall Diameter 28.0)

So a 295/50/15 would be much narrower(50mm or roughly 2"), and is 26.6-26.8 OA diameter depending on who makes it.

Mastercraft (Sold by belle tire), and Cooper both make a G/T series tire in that and many other sizes. BF Goodrich also makes a 295/50/15 in the Radial T/A model.

If you need to stay with the size you have Coker makes an N50/15 tire still, I think Mickey Thompson may have discontinued theirs. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-72146/overview/

Yea I think I'm paying $162 a tire for the rears, and Belle Tire has $50/set of 4 tires right now on most of their tire brands... I'm scrambling to get up to my office in the next couple days and get some paint on the wheels so I can have the tires put on...

Latest posts

Back