Original or S10 Frame - are there rules?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thankful

OK, this question may cause rumblings as I am sure there are things here that are sacred. I am only guessing here and could be wrong - but I bet there are many purists or traditional lists that would only stick with period parts or something to that matter.

At least this is how it is in the motorcycle chopper world. It gets pretty heated when talking about - running a Shovel or Pan engine instead of running with something like an 80" Harley EVO. Even though most of them will tell you that they love the power and RELIABILITY with the EVO - the Shovel / Pan Knuckle has more soul....

So since I am still learning - And hopefully always will..... I am sure that there may be some of this when building a Rod. Although I get from reading posts and talking to people etc - that when building a Rat Rod - there is a little more leeway in the build process and what you use.

I guess my question here is - What's the difference in running on a stock frame or turning to a S10 or Dodge Dakota frame. I am sure they look a bit different when exposed etc... But what are the advantages or disadvantages.

And stigma... I am sure there is some kind of stigma. Maybe I am wrong - just asking...

Thanks for the input and info.

Have a great night.

Nothing wrong with an s-tin frame other than the radiator will sit way out front and look goofy without fenders. Put the radiator in the back and some will still not like how the steering box hangs out in front. Oh well! Do it the way you want. :D

I think they are great for something like an AD Chevy pickup but I have never seen a fenderless S-10 framed rod that didn't look like something the banjo player from Deliverance might build.
Everyone has different tastes and where you drive might be a consideration for a more modern chassis. Personally, I think a hotrod should be a bit uncivilized and I love the way an old solid axle drives.

I think they are great for something like an AD Chevy pickup but I have never seen a fenderless S-10 framed rod that didn't look like something the banjo player from Deliverance might build.
Everyone has different tastes and where you drive might be a consideration for a more modern chassis. Personally, I think a hotrod should be a bit uncivilized and I love the way an old solid axle drives.

I agree. My 56 (late model, I know, but still a rat), has a 3" dropped axle with an 86 Toyota 4wd power steering box....drives GREAT. There are many ways to build a good driver.

Shakey

Start asking the guys who build at the cruises and shows you go to, they may have ideas you haven't seen yet. I don't think anyone on here will give you grief on whatever you build. No pork here!:D Just build what YOU want and good luck with it!!!...CR

With fenders S-10, Ranger, Dakota frames make it easy to have the safety of newer brakes and suspension parts. My Studebaker has an S-10 front half welded under it, and my 39 Plymouth had a complete S-10 frame under it. If your going to run fenderless, then personally, I'd think about some alternatives. That's just one mans opinion, but you should build what you like and what you have the means to build. Around here, if you enjoy yourself and like what you did and drive the wheels off of it, ain't nobody gonna flame you

I have been in the same connundrum lately. I have been working out my project on paper and when one of my friends saw that i want to put the truck on airbags she told me that it would not be well recieved. She said that it is a Rat Rod and the purist rat rodders will snub their nose at it since a rat rod is supposed to be a static drop vehicle. She said that minitruckers will not like it because it is a rat rod and has "no place" with them and they wont accept it.

I was trying to tell her that rat rodders look at the art in the vehicle and accept any and all new forms in their vehicles. that went over like a lead balloon since she said she has been working with air bags for the past 21 years and they are not new to which i replied that i understood that but they are "new" to the rat rod world.

i am just hoping that if i do keep the bags in the final version of my project it is well received in some form by more then just myself.

I guess what i am asking would be, is it wrong of a rat rod to have adjustable suspension like air bags? is turning away from the rat rod form? will the truck be shunned like i have been told?

I look at it this way, on the shuning that is, is it a pre 1960 american vehicle you built yourself? If so, im not shunning it at all. Its a rat no matter the suspension.

see, that is what i was hoping the reception would be and after being on this site for a while i thought it was going to be that way. im not really sure why i let her get to me like she did, but it had me wondering for the past week and i saw this thread so i posted it here. any other input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Imo, I would like a static dropped original frame rat better only because of the "soul" it has. But I do think cars with the airbags look completley sick when they are parked, and the cars with frame/ subframe swaps I would love to drive.

s10 rats

IMO I am building a 30 chevy sedan with a home made frame and ford straight axle because I like the look of the straight axle with no fenders, I also have a 53 chevy truck that will go on an s10 frame, it will have fenders to cover up all the front suspension, that way I get modern suspension and brakes on the 53 plus all the other advantages.
On this form you can build what you want, how you want it, and nobody! will call you names for doing it your way, there may be some that don't like what you do, but here they just don't say anything, kinda like the old saying ( If you can't say something good, don't say anything at all )
Build it your way, and post lots of pictures, we all get new ideas from other builds we see, and if you get stuck on something, just ask there are a lot of very very talented people on here that will help you figure it out, I bet for every question you ask, someone here will have a solution and a picture. This form has a GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE that will help when needed.

I like to think im the exception to the "rule".LOL I dont like the s-10 look on a fenderless ride, but I wanted airride and a certain look that I could afford.I know some will never accept ifs but they will still look if nothing but to critisize.LOL By the way mine is a 74 courier frame.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 45
  • rear2.jpg
    rear2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 34
  • tip.jpg
    tip.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 34
  • rod7.jpg
    rod7.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 52
With fenders S-10, Ranger, Dakota frames make it easy to have the safety of newer brakes and suspension parts. My Studebaker has an S-10 front half welded under it, and my 39 Plymouth had a complete S-10 frame under it. If your going to run fenderless, then personally, I'd think about some alternatives. That's just one mans opinion, but you should build what you like and what you have the means to build. Around here, if you enjoy yourself and like what you did and drive the wheels off of it, ain't nobody gonna flame you

RoddingRon - makes sense. I guess what I need to do is look at what the differences in looks are with original and more modern / S10 etc frame on a Fenderless Rod. I am sure there are pics floating around. I have seen both - but before I just liked the look of the cars or trucks and didn't dive into the build as deep as I am now - now that I want one. So I should probably start with looking over photos etc of the differences.

I am leaning toward a fenderless truck - but could be swayed. So this would be an important part of my build.

Imo, I would like a static dropped original frame rat better only because of the "soul" it has. But I do think cars with the airbags look completley sick when they are parked, and the cars with frame/ subframe swaps I would love to drive.

PortnPolish - I understand where you're coming from. I have an old Harley Chopper that I ride the crap out of. When building it - it had to have an old rigid frame - small solo seat with 2" seat springs - springer front end etc. The thing has soul - and I have ridden the crap out of it.....

But when I ride longer trips - 250 - 300 miles a day - man does it beat me up! But it still has soul right? ;)

When I ride with my one buddy - he has a really nice nightrain Harley Softail. Bike is pretty... He rides the same ride.... nice bike - may not have the same old stuff mine has - but boy it's a joy to ride!

Since I have not driven one of these vehicles in any form - does this at all sound similar? Are the rides that different in comfort etc? Or is it all looks? Or a money thing or.....?

Thanks for the input.

IMO I am building a 30 chevy sedan with a home made frame and ford straight axle because I like the look of the straight axle with no fenders, I also have a 53 chevy truck that will go on an s10 frame, it will have fenders to cover up all the front suspension, that way I get modern suspension and brakes on the 53 plus all the other advantages.

Lowanddraty - thanks for the input - I guess I really need to see what the difference of how they look - straight axle or with an S10 frame or clip on... That will help me understand what I am looking at - and will possibly help me shape my opinion of what I want to go with.

Do people go this route for any particular reason:

Like ease of finding parts?

Ride quality for longer rides?

Price - does that play into it at all in going with an S10 Frame and components rather than original?

Thanks for the insight.

SneakySnake - great looking truck.

So you don't like the look of a fenderless ride with S10 Frame? Is that what you did with yours in order to have airbags or no? Just learning here and want to be clear on your comment. Truck looks nice for sure.

Thanks for posting and your help.

SneakySnake - great looking truck.

So you don't like the look of a fenderless ride with S10 Frame? Is that what you did with yours in order to have airbags or no? Just learning here and want to be clear on your comment. Truck looks nice for sure.

Thanks for posting and your help.

Check out my build link at the bottom of my post, may give you some ideas and answer some questions.If you have any questions feel free to ask, I turned every nut and bolt on this thing.LOL

I have been in the same connundrum lately. I have been working out my project on paper and when one of my friends saw that i want to put the truck on airbags she told me that it would not be well recieved. She said that it is a Rat Rod and the purist rat rodders will snub their nose at it since a rat rod is supposed to be a static drop vehicle. She said that minitruckers will not like it because it is a rat rod and has "no place" with them and they wont accept it.

I was trying to tell her that rat rodders look at the art in the vehicle and accept any and all new forms in their vehicles. that went over like a lead balloon since she said she has been working with air bags for the past 21 years and they are not new to which i replied that i understood that but they are "new" to the rat rod world.

i am just hoping that if i do keep the bags in the final version of my project it is well received in some form by more then just myself.

I guess what i am asking would be, is it wrong of a rat rod to have adjustable suspension like air bags? is turning away from the rat rod form? will the truck be shunned like i have been told?

It comes around to "rules". Some rodders think there are some......many don't. I love the looks of a "bagged" truck. (Just can't afford 'em.) I build what I want.....you should too. Besides, if you are striving for acceptance, ....guys drivin' rats don't get much of that. LOL

Shakey

The IFS front end can get you disc brakes and better steering, but your sacrificing some looks. A straight axle is clean and uncluttered.

If you don't move the front wheels out, you'll have that big overhang. Either way, you'd need to figure out what to do with the steering box out front. It's about proportions. Don't go into it expecting it to look like a straight axle suicide front end. It won't.

But it's your ride - build it how you want. Just be sure to drive it! As for bags - go for it! I put bags on mine cause I want it on the ground when parked.

If your rod hasn't upset any one, your still inside the box.

Latest posts

Back