Outside the Box Idea

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

Since I have a dreaded curved windshield that creates havoc for chopping my top how about this. Has anybody used a smaller more suitable windshield doner from another vehicle? Leave the windshield mounted and cut the metal around it then fab it into the new one.

Stupid thought? :confused:[S

i would try to stay away from a completely different windshield opening. i think it would be a real challenge to make it look as if it fits. depending on the car or truck you could modify the opening to where it takes two pieces of glass with a divider bar in the center.

i think some of those old custom cars have used that method for the rear glass-don't know about the front.....

i also remember reading about a car that was mildly chopped and they lowered the whole windshiled down into the cowl area someway or another--eliminating the need to cut the glass...i don;t really know how it was done or how hard that would be, but it has been done that way...

i still think i'd pass on chopping that one, though...

What are you going to find that is shorter, the same width, the same general shape, and cheap?

It probably wouldn't be too difficult to do a 2" chop by sinking the windshield. But, I'm thinking you should center your efforts on getting it into the weeds. Like Flipper's 48 flatbed. Your's would look real good low.
IMG_0606.jpg

file.php

Can windshield glass be cut with a water jet?

They tell me glass can be cut with a plasma cutter. By gluing aluminum foil to the glass then it will make an arc on the foil. The heated air will simply blow right through the glass. I have never tried it! I would try it on a junk windsheild first and wear a lot of eye protection.

I tried the glass/ plasma trick, and yes it will cut it. It kind of melts the glass and it is not a pretty cut like you might think. But the worst thing about the cuts I made is the third cut cracked the glass. Hope you have some spare glass, and lots of luck.

I don't think glass likes point heat. My understanding is (from reading), there is no easy way to cut curved glass. No matter how you do it, plan on breaking at least 3-5 before you get it right. Taking it to a pro would be your best bet, and even then, expect him to break one (or more). It's the nature of the beast. Aged glass is more likely to break.

Who is the RRR guy that cuts a lot of glass? I'm drawing a blank. :(

A friend of mine chopped the top on a 60 Dodge Phoenix. He cut the forward dash section and dropped it about 4" down and rewelded it in. Cool part is the wipers were now hidden. The car is an awesome 60's custom. It was done about 25 years ago. He still owns it, I just saw it about 2 months ago in his garage.

Since I have a dreaded curved windshield that creates havoc for chopping my top how about this. Has anybody used a smaller more suitable windshield doner from another vehicle? Leave the windshield mounted and cut the metal around it then fab it into the new one.

Stupid thought? :confused:[S

Absolutly not a stupid thought . I was involved in a discussion about this at a show last weekend . Taking part in the discussion were a number of guys who have chopped tops . The general consensious was , get the glass first and build your top too it .

Absolutly not a stupid thought . I was involved in a discussion about this at a show last weekend . Taking part in the discussion were a number of guys who have chopped tops . The general consensious was , get the glass first and build your top too it .
Absolutely, glass first if it's curved. I've been involved in a few and it's easier to fit the metal to the glass while you're trimming. Very difficult to trim the glass to fit after. I still stand by the drop the entire windshield instead of replacing with a different type if you are afraid to cut the original. Something will always look a little off.

While living in Fla, I heard some guys talking about sandblasting a curved windshield. I can't recall the precise details, but they mentioned taping (duck tape) along both sides of the marked line. Do the same with the other side. It takes some time. Use a razor blade to cut the plastic in the middle. I've never tried it, but this is what I heard. Just a thought. I watched a guy frost glass with a mini sandblaster. He said if he held it in one spot long enough it would make a hole in the glass. He was quite an artist.

Have lowerd 3 entire windsheilds down into the cowl. ..(.ALL were deffinitly a pain)......Have had far better luck in shaping the metal to the glass.......and using the REAR window of tri five chevys in the front.......Most all of mine are chopped in lenth first ... then need the windsheild brought down to corect the proportions......Sammy

Attachments

• HPIM0279.jpg
    HPIM0279.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back