overflow tank dress up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
I had one of those stainless overflow tanks that I didn't like the looks of so I changed it up a little.

nv24b.jpg

I just painted it, added some brass fittings to the bottom and installed a timing tag. Nothing fancy....

sundayshop207Small.jpg

sundayshop206Small.jpg

Yep... *much* better. I took a page outta Gastrick's playbook & am usin' a brass motorcycle fire extinguisher for the overflow on my '41.

BoB

definite improvement, and i think the sight tube would be a fun detail

Gastrick

Looks good... I have been looking for an overflow tank, so I might copy yours...

Would you mind answering a few questions?
1) is the timing tag actually riveted to the tank, if so would'nt it leak at the rivets or did you just attach the rivets to the tag, then glue/silicone the tag to the tank. 2) are the brass fittings at the bottom just decorative, fit on the hose then the hose slipped over the original tube and secured with hose clamp. 3) what did you use for the cap. 4) what size is the tank (2 or 3 inch diameter), what length.

Thanks

Cool pics e-man. I need both of those[dr

Rat Rod Jim,

1. I rolled the flat timing tag around a slightly smaller piece of pipe. It is screwed to the tank with stainless screws which I applied sealer to before I installed. I then painted the screw heads with brass paint. It holds water without any leaks, but.....I'm not happy with the tightness of the screws. I'm going to back them out and rivet the tag, again using sealer. I'll paint the rivet heads with brass paint. You could glue the tag to the tank but I would do so before painting it.

2. Correct, the brass fittings on the bottom are just decorative. They are compression fittings that usually accept a ferrule inside. The small inside diameter of the fittings fit nicely around around the small tubes and the hose fit snugly into the fitting to keep it in place. The hose I used fit tightly onto the stainless inlet/outlet tubes, no need for clamps. There's no pressure there. The fittings were just stuff from my junk bin.

3. The cap is the cap that came with the tank. I just painted it with some O.D. green paint.

4. I'll check the tank diameter for you this weekend. I've had it for years and I don't remember. I'm sure that it's not 3" though.[S

Hope that helps.

Why can't I edit my own thread.:confused: Sorry to bump this back up but I can't edit my last post. I just wanted to post a better photo of the cap for Rat Rod Jim.[S

CQQL Idea Gastrick !!! I really dig small details like that. [cl Alot of people don't relize the time you can put into it creating something that makes'em scratch their head and say " why did'nt I think of that" and it looks so simple but effective !! I like Rat Rods that I can walk around for 30 minutes looking at all the neat ideas. Not junk magnets !! You know what I mean ! ;) Good job and thanks for sharing something cool ! Added a pic of my overflow tank.

Attachments

• 109_8094.jpg
    109_8094.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back