Overheating issue!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmontanez

Just put my rearend in and took my 64 chevelle for its first drive, about 5 miles in the car started to over heat and was not able to accelerate past 2nd gear.
The radiator was extremely hot and was overflowing.

I need help, it has new hoses and a new thermostat. the new thermostat has been sitting in the engine which has not been driven for about 8 months. could it be stuck? I would check there first when i get home.

Tony

How did the engine act at first? Good power? Anything sound off? Blowing smoke? Etc. etc. etc. Anything else when you started losing power? Bad timing can heat up a motor. So can a bad oil pump. Any noises?

Is the radiator cap new / old? I know if they will not hold pressure it will not take long to overheat, the other idea I have is a timing issue?

I doubt the stat is stuck after sitting only 8 mths! What motor/fan/rad are you using & how hot is it there?

BoB

It sounded fine when I would start it and before actually drove it just starting and revving in park, it never overheated but the longest I had it running in park was about 5 mins. It's a 350 sb I believe out of a 69 camero. I have a champion aluminum radiator, manual fan, new cap. The idle is high right now because my throttle cable frayed and it drags and does no go down to full idle so my idle is higher then it should be

Go get a infrared heat sensor and find out where your heat is. Do you have a working temp and oil gauges? Is your oil pressure good?

Are you sure that the coolant is moving thru the motor and/or radiator? Have you run the motor with the radiator cap off to see the coolant moving? That would be my first step. You do need a shroud. The fan needs it to create an air flow thru the radiator, not around it.

Oil and temp gauges work, temp gauge on gauge cluster was red. It did not look like the coolant was moving with the cap off, how can I tell that it is getting to the engine?

Coolant is moving, so I assume then that the t-stat is opening.
my vote is to also look at timing, plugs(for signs of a head gasket issue), and swap to a different radiator cap to make sure it IS capable of holding pressure. If it will not build pressure, it will overheat VERY quickly when driving.

Oil and temp gauges work, temp gauge on gauge cluster was red. It did not look like the coolant was moving with the cap off, how can I tell that it is getting to the engine?

If the motor is warmed up, you will see coolant flowing - it'll be obviously moving. Warm will probably be 180 degrees. If you don't see movement, either your T-stat is stuck or your pump isn't working for some reason.

I'd check the T-stat.

See if there is a big temperature difference between the top hose and the bottom hose.

How far is the fan from the radiator? If more than a couple inches it needs to be spaced closer and outfitted with a shroud.

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned was a flat lobe on the cam.

I had a simalar problem with my 56 F100, blown ford 351W, alum. rad. elec. fans no shroud, added shroud problem went away [S

You need a fan shroud. No doubt in my mind this is your problem. Had the same problem with a 67 Camaro. Thought I didn't need it. Engine overheated. Installed a shroud. Problem fixed.

Latest posts

Back