paint help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensens ratrods

have all my new parts for my Harley. want to paint it rat rod flat back. don't want to rattle can it. have a new gravity feed spray gun . never really painted before . what the best paint to use ,that's easy to mix and any tips thanks

If you want to do it on the cheap and easy you can use Rutoleum in the qt or gallon at the local hardware store. Seems to do good job.

Be careful if you use any paint that requires a catalyst. You do not want to breath this stuff, it can kill you.

You might also want to check out some of the water based paints.

flat black epoxy primer will work well too and hold up good. Of Kirker just came out with a new flat clear you can put over reg black paint.

heres what im going after .just mocked up now still have to get dash .have to seal tank . and few other things for it . saddle bags mini floor boards rear fender seat all coming . want to do some pin striping on it. want the old school rat rod look .this a 2006 883 low .any ideas thanks

Attachments

• DSCF0082.jpg
    DSCF0082.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 17
  • SANY0175.jpg
    SANY0175.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 20
John Deere Blitz Black maybe? I bought a gallon but haven't used it yet, about $35

Buddy, I do custom airbrush art , and I have done work over the John Deere Black. It looks good and very consistant. Not a bad price either. Just let it cure very well before topping off your fuel tank. But, that goes with all types of paint. The problem with flat clears, isthat if you happen to rub a little too hard on it, you may wind up shining the surface back to gloss. Good luck with it, and take your time. And , let me just say this. Prep is the key to a good finish. . That goes with just about anything , I guess.

Buddy, I do custom airbrush art , and I have done work over the John Deere Black. It looks good and very consistant. Not a bad price either. Just let it cure very well before topping off your fuel tank. But, that goes with all types of paint. The problem with flat clears, isthat if you happen to rub a little too hard on it, you may wind up shining the surface back to gloss. Good luck with it, and take your time. And , let me just say this. Prep is the key to a good finish. . That goes with just about anything , I guess.

This tank was painted with John Deere black then the frames were done with Tractor supply Tractor paint. The red was Farmall red, Orange was Allis Chramer Orange, and the yellow was John Deere yellow. It was all cleared with Rustoleum Auto clear. The frame is also done in the John deere black.

Just make sure you wait the full 48 hours before applying the next color.

Also cut the paint at the gas fill and coat is with a thin coat of PC 7 to seal the edge. It will keep the gas from getting under the paint.

Attachments

• Honda tank 001A.JPG
    Honda tank 001A.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 21
My suggestion is to go with a catalyzed paint, whatever you do. The problem with the straight enamels, like Rustoleum, is that they take so long to dry. When I sprayed my mini bike with Rustoleum enamel it was still easy to scratch it two weeks later. Catalyzed paints are tougher and you can assemble stuff on them so much faster.

We sprayed my 27 with SEM Hot Rod Black and could not be happier with it. My Son liked it so well he also sprayed his 30 rpu with it, after seeing mine. It is a true black, not grayish like some primers tend to be, and the UV protection is so much better. We noticed that the DP90 primer he sprayed on first tended to mark up a little more easily, but the Hot Rod Black wipes down with something like Armor All Detailer really well, and has a perfect sheen.

It is also cheap. The kit comes with a quart of preflattened paint, 8 oz of catalyist, and 8 oz of reducer, for about $ 70.00 It makes a quart and a half of sprayable paint, and I sprayed the entire body of my 27 with one kit!

Here is how it looks.

Don

dansbodyassembled2.jpg

dansbodyassembled.jpg

dansrpupaintedbackshot.jpg

27bodyon10.jpg

I use Centari gloss black at work and suggest against the catalyst it does harden the paint but when it gets chipped its bigger. Just get a dulling agent to mix with the paint and some slow reducer and your set.

Latest posts

Back