Paint It or Leave It?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer32

My daily driver:

koolmongous008.jpg

koolmongous010.jpg

Have you priced paint lately ? Man it's crazy how much it cost to paint something now days!
As fare as painting it ,it depends on how you fill when you drive it?
If you drive it every day then i know how it feals to want to paint it .
Or mabie just primmer it for a change of pase?then paint it later.
Any how ,its a nice daily!

I'd go over to tractor supply and get a gallon of primer and a gallon of tractor paint and hose it on. To heck with that auto body stuff that costs hundreds of dollars a gallon.

If I do paint it, that is exactly what I plan on doing.

Have you priced paint lately ? Man it's crazy how much it cost to paint something now days!
As fare as painting it ,it depends on how you fill when you drive it?
If you drive it every day then i know how it feals to want to paint it .
Or mabie just primmer it for a change of pase?then paint it later.
Any how ,its a nice daily!

I feel great driving it just like it is, but my wife doesn't like it. I thought about just wet sanding the tree sap and flakey paint off and buffing out what's left to see if it will shine up at all. The truck is SUPER straight and as rust-free as I've ever seen.

paint the wheels and shine the chrome, get new hubcaps and leave the rest as is.

I have some rally trim rings in the shop, and the caps on the truck now would polish up pretty well. Think I should try to shine up what's left of the paint?

I have some rally trim rings in the shop, and the caps on the truck now would polish up pretty well. Think I should try to shine up what's left of the paint?

If it is factory paint is it lacquer and will buff out if it has been repainted with enamel propably not. When I got my 64 it was white with oxidation, looked like chalk. I buffed it then went over it with paint cleaning clay. Turned out nice, I get comments on it all the time. I dont have a before pic but here it is a couple of years later. Looks alot better in person, this pic is not that good.

Attachments

• gmcinspic.jpg
    gmcinspic.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 24
I'd say get some paint on it. The body is so nice you want to keep it protected from the elements. There are even some roll on paints now that have reportedly given nice results. Plus a car or truck just seems to run better when you spiffy it up a little. In a weekend you could get the whole job done and drive to work Monday morning in a brand new truck.

This question just reminded me of the old bumper sticker "This is NOT an abandoned vehicle !" I always thought that one was pretty funny. lol

Don

Personally, I'd just primer the body & maybe paint the rims. But, it's your ride. Do what makes you happy.

I think you should lower it and drive it.It took mother nature a long time to do that.:cool:

I couldn't agree more. Mother nature has a lot of time invested in that finish. I think it would be ashame to disrupt all that's been done. BUT....I understand the wife situation and the need to keep peace at home...at least I say I understand, because I'm divorced........ so I guess I don't really understand that well:confused:

Latest posts

Back