Panhard bar - Front Axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_J

First, this is not a thread of whether I need one or not on my front axle. I just need some creative ideas. I did a search but did not find any clear pictures. I've set up spring over axle panhard bars but this is my first build with a spring behind/suicide set up. I've come up with a few ideas but I'm curious if any of you have any neat or creative ways of getting this done. I'm using a 37-41 stock axle, split wishbones and I've mounted the spring to plates welded under the wishbones and cross steering.

I've considered using a dead perch too but this still will move the axle side to side but at least it's predictable. I still prefer a panhard bar.

Paul

Last edited:
I've never ran a P/H bar on the front of a car, but I have wondered if a watts type setup works as well on the front as the rear.
The center link could be done smaller, and seems like it wouldn't be all that intrusive!!! That may be what you're looking for. Anybody have any info on this?

I've done 3 or 4 solid front axle cars using a Panhard bar, necessary since they were all mounted on air bags which have no side to side control. The biggest problem I encountered was trying to get as long a bar as possible to limit side to side movement as the suspension goes up and down. Of course, I can't find one decent pic, all are obscured by engine etc. Depending on how much travel your suspension has, it may not move too much - with the air springs, I was getting 5+ inches, but under normal driving, it doesn't move that much.

I've thought about a watts linkage but the height needed right in the middle of the frame ruled that one out for me. They work great on the back end!

Yeah ZZ, every picture I find anywhere has the panhard bar hidden. At least in my case that is exactly how I want ours....Hidden!

When I set up the wishbones I made sure I had 4" of travel up and 2" down for the axle in relation to the frame. I think realistically it will be about 2" up and 2" down. If I can use a bar 36" long and I set both mounts level I would have a total defection at 2" of travel up or down of 1/8". It will increase to 7/16 at 4" of travel.

Just for comparison a 24" bar at 2" of travel deflects 3/16" and 11/16" at 4"

Latest posts

Back