parasite draw?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablo

He talks to the tiki gods!
I have a 67 Pontaic Lemans, there is a draw some where in the harness (at least i think it is a draw)

first question
how do i test to confirm that there is indeed a draw, I notice a small spark when i connnect the negative batt term, i know that this is a sign of a draw. but how do I use a Multi Meter to confirm this.

second question
how do i locate that draw?

I am a bit of an idiot when it come to electrical, the sight of all those wires scares me LOL

Pablo

draw

last year i had a draw in my electric system but was unsure if that was really the problem and a guy showed me that i could take a test light and disconnect the positive of the batterry take te test light from the battery post to the battery cable useing only the test light to connect the two and if the test light comes on and stays on then you have a draw if it comes on then gos off no draw i know it sounds crazy but after we found the draw the test light would go out and it worked for me but this is only a way to see if you do hasve a draw.goods luck sorting it out hope this helps a little.

You can do it the way that is described. Then go to the fuse box and start popping out fuses until the light goes out. Chech that the glove box and or trunk light are not staying on is so equipped.

Also can be done with a volt meter the same way. Should be no more than 3 milliamps or less draw.

I am truley a moron

Thanks guys, I do not know why I did not think of those to things... i feel lilke an idiot. I will give them a try and let you know.

Thanks again.

Pablo

You will feel like an even bigger idiot if you go through all of that with the door open, lol. I usually start at the main power source, like at the starter relay on a Ford. Very often the draw is a bad voltage regulator and does not go through the fuse block.

Latest posts

Back