parting out cars. what to save for future projects?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djh2003

I had a 84 buick regal given to me. I wanted for the rear end. I thought about cutting the frame just behind the doors. I was thinking this would be a good setup for a bobber style tuck. either use the components or even the rear frame itself. Then I remembered people using the front clips of these cars as well since they are narrower than 70-81Fbody or 74up novas. anyone want to chime in they can.

Next I have a 92 chevy caprice, bubble. I plan on using the motor/trans for another project. Should I save the frame? what does these go under well? Hate to scrap stuff then do the homer "DOH!".

I would keep everything I had room for!!
Do you have a short track, (circle track) close to you??
You could probably sell the caprice chassis to those guys!
I would keep the entire frame if it were me, might be just what you
need on the next project!!! Seems like every time I get rid of something
I need it within a week!!

I sold most of my 85 Cutlass body parts to racers. I used the frame and suspension on my 48 Olds. Also used the gas tank and the floor it hung off of. Sold off most of the little stuff and glass to street rodders. I also salvaged every nut and bolt - even though they are metric.

a front clip or chassis is always great to have... to me anything that has a interesting look or something thats hard to come by.

Keep it all

I keep everything.I do not care what anyone calls me.:)
People come by all the time wanting parts off my stuff after they scrapped all theirs.
I just send them on their way.
They should have kept the parts cars they had.

I keep everything.I do not care what anyone calls me.:)
People come by all the time wanting parts off my stuff after they scrapped all theirs.
I just send them on their way.
They should have kept the parts cars they had.
My point well made

When I was house shopping, I looked at a brand new two story house. I went to the master bedroom and looked out the window. The bedroom overlooked the neighbor's back yard. It looked liked Sanford & Son's junkyard. I thanked the realtor and said, "No thanks!". The realtor explained that they tried to buy the property but the guy wouldn't sell. This was 20 years ago. Recently, I was curious and went back to look. That same neighbor is still there but the house is worse for lack of repair. There are now plastic sheets on the roof.

When I was house shopping, I looked at a brand new two story house. I went to the master bedroom and looked out the window. The bedroom overlooked the neighbor's back yard. It looked liked Sanford & Son's junkyard. I thanked the realtor and said, "No thanks!". The realtor explained that they tried to buy the property but the guy wouldn't sell. This was 20 years ago. Recently, I was curious and went back to look. That same neighbor is still there but the house is worse for lack of repair. There are now plastic sheets on the roof.
OK OK I know where this is goin, You wished you had went over and asked what he wanted for the 36 Ford coupe!!!!!!!!! Right? [ddd

Save rear wheel drive cars and parts. Crush the nose draggers. That's my rule for saving. You can usually sell a bunch of parts off them on Graig's list to help finance your hobby

He probably didn't want you for a neighbor either...

Your in Oklahoma right?
I have an 82 regal i bought to get the diesel engine out of to rebuild. you might think it'd be a good car to keep a diesel in but I have a 79 olds regency diesel I bought first and it's pretty choice except for the rod hanging through the oilpan. I'm gonna rebuild a diesel to put back in the titanic and was thinkign what am I going to do with this regal. tried getting 600 for it but only got 200-400 offers and decided...it's solid..build it.

I looked around at parts when i first got it (It needs the entire interior replaced) and I almost bought an aftermarket 9" and suspension kit.
I have a 69 430 big block that can go in it.
the guy with the axle skated out on me when I got to his town to pick it up. I got ****ed and that's when i thought i'd sell it off but then i changed my mind and thought "there's a lot of these already built for cheap why spend coin I'll never recoup to do the same thing everyone else has already done.
So I got to looking it over and I think it would be fairly simple to eliminate the rear 4 link, fab a transmission crossmember I can bolt chevy truck arms to and buy a set of 6" Donky Donk lift springs, weld the g body coil spring mounts to this 69 cougar axle I have and set it up in the chevy arms then move to the front.
Up front I could do a straight axle conversion the same way you do one on a 55-57 chevy just like on shakey pudding.

This is what I'm gonna do with it if i do anything.
On the interior... I might at least replace all the hard plastic parts and the dash.
It sat with the windows up in the sun and 34k on the odo since 1994. the mice have taken alot of bathroom breaks inside but luckily the floors are solid.
I'm not sure if I want to go with a tube frame and sheetmetal interior or a stock one.
I don't want to spend a ton of money, there was a guy out in california sellign complete tuck-n-roll interiors from lowriders he was parting out for under a grand but he never got back to me. I might just throw in a set of leather audi buckets and just replace the hard plastic parts and run a circle track dash. light and fast not fancy think modern gasser

Hows your interior? I mine is supposed to be electric blue but it's more like burnt plastic right now

I have a friend who has a 77 impala with the big folded back glass. he needs a driver's door and his frame has rust in one of the rear rails.

T-mann, if you replace the trans crossmember, you're gonna need to beef the frame too. I think you'll also need to lift the floor pans to get the arms under there.

Pulled the body off the regal and kept the frame uncut until I decide its fate. I was surprised we had it off its frame in about 30 min with hand tools. Im thinking the rear will make great use of a bobber truck and the regal gas tank could sit in the bed

Attachments

• aregfr.jpg
    aregfr.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 14
Its not hoarding, its storing parts for a future project.
Only a true rat rodder understands......
Craigslist the Caprice frame and keep the A-body frame, its narrower for the early bodies.....[;) weld on....

T-mann, if you replace the trans crossmember, you're gonna need to beef the frame too. I think you'll also need to lift the floor pans to get the arms under there.

Thanks, I'm gonna build a crossmember similar to the hotrods to hell unit but if i run a tube axle up front the whole car is going to be lifted. I think the arms might drop at about 2-3 degrees down from the transmission to the rear axle when it's setup.

Latest posts

Back