patina insanity?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom cabby

would like to hear any opinions if you think that there is a degree of too much patina. doing my f100 into a shop rod truck and with a bit of patina under a mint green cover and thought i went to far on the bed and repainted in and now wondering if i should have left it. opinions and pics welcome.

It is a matter of personal opinion. Some guys like rust you can see through, others like paint so deep you can see into it. It is really what ever you like.

No such thang!

Ok... that is also NO such thang as too much patina! Wait till u see my newest project... a really rusted up '46 Dodge pu I'm gonna chop 6 or 7 inches, bobbed bed & Poly motor!

BoB

to be more precise.... i took it clear to the metal then oxide primed, flat blacked and then applied the mint green suede. after that i wet sanded to show through, but when it came to the bed sides i wanted to simulate more of a wear look as it would have been used... well i think i went too far and started over from scratch. i want it to actually look as "authentically re-created" as much as possible but dont want to go overboard.

let me know what you think...

Attachments

• 101_8650-1.jpg
    101_8650-1.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 101_8651-1.jpg
    101_8651-1.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 132
I like it but remember that 10 years from now people will be laughing at fake patine like it was an 80s mural van. That's the reality of fads. Most builders don't care but when I get something done I want it to be in style forever. just me

i sanded it down to the metal in areas so that it would rust up pretty good and the hood has been sitting out side bare metal now for about 2 months. i know just like anyother fad that it may eventually not be the "cool" thing to have fake patina, but by then i will find either a new project or redo this one again. nothing is permanent.

Looks good to go just as it is.

Whether it's a fad or not; you did it by yourself FOR yourself. I thinks it's kool.

Sorry but to me it looks like a sanded down unfinished paint job ...like ya ran out of money or something.or wouldnt pay the painter so he told ya to get the truck out of the shop ......;>) Den

I really like this look. Also if you get impatient and want those bare metal places to rust quicker, do like I did and mix some strong salt water in a spray bottle and give give them a good soaking every once in a while.:D

Please don't anyone take offense, but how's about another way of looking at this.

The only person that really has to be happy with this is "YOU". but that all really depends on who you are trying to impress. Speaking on a personal level I am only trying to impress "ME". If others think my stuff is cool that is cool but if they don't it doesn't really matter to me. I'm old and almost worn out these last 60 years have been damn hard, and I'have learned that what I think is what matters to me.

I think your patina, fake or not, is cool, damn cool as a matter of fact. But you shouldn't really care what I think.

I went to a local cruise night last month. Took my little A Bone that impress's the hell outta me. Parked off to the side as I didn't know a single dude there as I was the new guy in town. Hadn't been setting there 15 min when some lame dude walks up and said. " WE dont usually allow cars under construction here". Now boys and girls there were a couple of things in his statement that bothered me a might. For one the boy was alone so there didn't appear to be a "WE". The "ALLOW" word kinda made the hairs on the back of my neck raise up as well. I in my most polite voice informed him that him and who ever else the "WE" were had a problem. The first part of that problem was just how many of those "WE'S" it was going to take to get me and that Model A out of that PUBLIC parking lot. And #2 Was the damn thing is finished and not under construction. You see my Model A has some of that Patina thing going on. Well he must have been a married man and loved his family, because he left and didn't come back. I had, had enough of these furr balls but on that night me and that little Model A were the last car to leave. I obviously didn't impress him very much.

Sorry about the length of this post, and I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Tour old Ford is cool, but what do you care? RIGHT!!

My Model A, I would never ask it to leave......

Model_A_010__Medium_.jpg

Model_A_005__Medium_.jpg

Model_A_013__Medium_.jpg

hombre.... thats exactly how i feel but every once in a while when you are at a teeter-toter position on what you do, its always nice to have an opinion to help open your mind a little. and as far as the comment of "it looks like your truck has an unfinished paint job"..... i look at my truck as it will never be totally finished because there will always be something that i will want to do to it. and as far as the paint job goes... it wont be done for another good 10 years or so.... it takes a while for rust to look good!!!!

Sorry if I offended ya but thats just my opinion and like hombre says shouldnt make any difference to you its your truck and you can do what ya like.just sayin for me it dont turn my crankI have a truck that has an older fading paint job and I dont like it and would someday like to get it redone but I wouldnt perposly sand it and let it rust for the cool factor.To each his own...D

Latest posts

Back