photoshop help 1958 Ford Custom 300

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddpowers

Can someone do something to this for me? It just failed to sell on ebay, so I think I'm gonna keep it, and do something differant with it. Just not sure what. Maybe all black, with some nice wheels? Old school flames? Tinted Windows?
Open to ideaa.

i would put the bubble back on top and drive the wheels off of it. maybe a decal on the doors like ratty's garage or something to that order. i was a police car that has survived.[cl

Lowered and cool caps for sure. That grill is looking for some custom teeth, bars, or something. And for paint, I'd go with a few long flames and a lace roof.

This is kinda what I mean for flames - not really so much the style of the licks, but the length:
IMGP6782.jpg

That one long ribbon of flame looks real good on long customs like a sedan or wagon.

Here's another example, but I don't like this one much.
IMGP0048a.jpg

The cop car look needs to go......Personally, I think it needs to be one dark color. Those big ol' cars can use all the slimming down dark paint can give them. :D Flames are cool, but I also think some old school scallops would set that car apart. Also, as mentioned earlier, the grille needs something to break up that large flat area. Whatever you do, just make sure YOU like it. :cool:

Sam, I do like the flames and scalops paint job in that pic, but I'm afraid its way over my head. What ever paint I decide, I will have to do myself. I might be able to whip up some scalops, but the flames are out of the question.
I did the cop car paint, and now I don't like it. So if I keep it, it has to change. The car has 14" wheels on it now which make it lower, but the front cross member is so close to the ground. I need to put some 15" wheels on it then lower it.
You guys have any pics of teeth or bars in the front grill? I had considered that a while back, but didn't know what would look good.
Thanks for all the feed back, keep it coming please.

Something like this would work pretty well on that body, and wouldn't be real hard to do.

Attachments

• 57CustomMods.jpg
    57CustomMods.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 17
  • goodguys_blue.jpg
    goodguys_blue.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 9732148318_5da7f25e3e_m.jpg
    9732148318_5da7f25e3e_m.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 12
Sam, I do like the flames and scalops paint job in that pic, but I'm afraid its way over my head. What ever paint I decide, I will have to do myself. I might be able to whip up some scalops, but the flames are out of the question.
I did the cop car paint, and now I don't like it. So if I keep it, it has to change. The car has 14" wheels on it now which make it lower, but the front cross member is so close to the ground. I need to put some 15" wheels on it then lower it.
You guys have any pics of teeth or bars in the front grill? I had considered that a while back, but didn't know what would look good.
Thanks for all the feed back, keep it coming please.

Scallops are easily within the ability of the average home DIY guy. You could also do the roof in a lace pattern. Both of these techniqes can be done with a rattle can if you want.
As for the grille I would consider going with a drawer pull or door knob style.
You already have the perferated steel backing piece in there and you can order knobs quite cheaply on line or go to a big box store to get them.
Use a thin width tape to out line the scallops as it is easier to bend around corners if needed.
The other thing you might consider is adding fender skirts to really make it a cruiser. You can also leave the front door handles chrome and paint the rear ones to match the body color. Makes them less noticable that way and also cheaper than shaving them off.
Have fun and hope this gives you some ideas.
Torchie.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 56fordtruck.jpg
    56fordtruck.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
All great ideas!! THanks very much!

I'm thinking wheel skirts, all black with maybe white, or grabber green scallops..?? I'll look at the hardware, and see what kind of drawer pulls I could use. I'll do a search for the lace pattern. I looked pics up on google, and thats some cool stuff.

Thanks again for the great ideas.

Another option to drawer pulls is the little chrome bullets they sell at bike shops. You might be able to find someone selling them in bulk on ebay or somewhere.

All great ideas!! THanks very much!

I'm thinking wheel skirts, all black with maybe white, or grabber green scallops..?? I'll look at the hardware, and see what kind of drawer pulls I could use. I'll do a search for the lace pattern. I looked pics up on google, and thats some cool stuff.

Thanks again for the great ideas.

Another option to drawer pulls is the little chrome bullets they sell at bike shops. You might be able to find someone selling them in bulk on ebay or somewhere.

For lace patterns go to your nearest JoAnn's fabrics and look. You will use actual lace panels for that.
Yes bullets work well to or you can mix and match knob styles with bullets, ect.
Here are a couple of pics of the mock up skirts I was considering for my daughters 60 Chevy. They can give a whole different look to a car. Just make sure the ones you look at are for a 4 door as the overlay style needs some room by the rear dog leg for the rear door to open. Possibly look for" cruiser skirts" as they were "the" skirts to have by the late 50's.
4 doors can be cool too!
Glad the ideas helped.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 18
so i take it it wasn't a cop car after all. then i would go with pinner stripe white walls, chrome reverse wheels, and 1972 amc d8 sparkling burgundy paint, maybe some lace on the roof. drop it, and have fun.

Flames aren't that hard, as long as you take the time to keep going over it until you get it the way you like, one section at a time.

Thin long scallops will look great too. Lakes pipes are cool on 4drs.

Torchie, that chevy is awsome!

And the fairlane is cool to!

I'll get the doors done black again, and go from there. Thanks for all the help guys!!

Give it some teeth, like Desoto or 54 Chevy. Looks like it's mouth is open...
Even a floating grill bar would break up that large mouth opening.

Latest posts

Back