photoshop my 29 hudson

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannaby

Hi anybody want to take a stab at it welcome looking for ideas.
chop would be nice.kind looks to boxy.

Attachments

• 22767197_614[1].jpg
    22767197_614[1].jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 22767204_614[1].jpg
    22767204_614[1].jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 50
Ya that's what I was thinkin wonder how hard it would be to do the wedge chop.Make it look more meaner.Wonder how a guy would go about that with the fron being lower tha the back.Any ideas.Never done a chop so his might not be too bad as its fairly square.Den

Here's a simple (like me) way of getting an idea of what is envolved with a wedgechop.
Print up a profile pic of your car. Cut out a wedge from the top and drop it down to the bottom piece. This where things start to get interesting as all your formerly straight lines now become only straight up to where you made the wedge cut where the top pieces now come in at an angle. Not to mention the back of the cab. The bigger the wedge , the more the angle.
It can be done and would look great but there is more to it than a straight chop.
Pardon the crude artist renderings. But it give you an idea.
What I would maybe do if it where mine would be to straight chop it and remove the door tops. In other words make it hardtop:eek:
Maybe some one can photo shop a version of that.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 27
Torchie has a great idea, but you also need to pay attention close attention to the 3D curves and if the sides curve inward at all.

Basically when you photochop a car, you're doing the same thing, just with a PC instead of CB. (carboard)

Anyhow, this is how I might go about that wedge chop:
attachment.php

The A posts, just cut the top off.

The doors, cut somewhere in the middle, and the angle relief cuts in the corners. The top may need to be cut and lengthened slightly possibly using some of the metal from the front or back that was removed.

The back, cut right below the curved corner and then up to the top corner of the door opening. Weld the flat back section in and fold the roof forward. The vertical relief cut would follow the curve of the corner and curve forward at the same time to avoid a sharp point when folding it.

There might me a little work to do up front on the roof section since it will no longer quite reach the A-pillar.

Attachments

• 22767197_614[2].jpg
    22767197_614[2].jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 104
With even more work, you could angle the A-posts back by relief cutting the bottoms of them, which would clear up any problems with the top and tops of the doors being a little too short.The front lower doors would also need relief cuts at the same exact spot. BUT this all would require dealing with the bottom of the windshield frame and possibly the cowl.

attachment.php

EDIT: After looking back between the wedge and this one, I think the angle pillars would be more work with little gain in looks.

Attachments

• 22767197_614[3].jpg
    22767197_614[3].jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 102
Agree with Sam that there is a couple (at least) ways of doing this. The reason I went with cutting the windshield post down lower would be to relief cut them up at the header panel and pull them out to line up with the lower pieces. Much like the cuts that Sam has marked on the coners off the door tops.

As Sam pointed out the tricky part of a wedge chop is going to be the rear cornes of the cab and maintaining the verticle line at the rear and the curves of the corners.
If you do it you better post pics.:D:D:D
Torchie.

I would leave it stock, everyone seems to be chopping their tops (i'm guilty), looks good to see one stock height on occasion.

Yep I would leave the roof stock height. Even if you chopped it I would leave the pillars at their stock angle, I really dislike the look of it with them layed back. The Hudson has such a unique shape, I would try to retain as much of it as possible.

Latest posts

Back