Picked up a Ford 300 & 4 speed trans today

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyrat

Got Fins?
I decided to trade some old VW parts I have for a 300 Ford (70s motor) with a friend.
I know a couple of you had some plans for building up a 300, this is for a future project which is far far on the back burner, but when I see something I can use later on and not have to spend money on it, I can't pass it up.

So, I'd like to see/hear what some of you have done with the 300.
I heard there was a whole line of performance parts for it, but I have not had a chance to look into it...

I'll try to get pics up tomorrow.

pics of the engine

Attachments

• IMAG0540.jpg
    IMAG0540.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0539.jpg
    IMAG0539.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 40
Lots of good info on the Fordsix forums. I have a warmed up one in an old shop truck I don't use much any more. It has a comp 260 cam, Offy C intake, 390 Holley and a high energy ignition using a GM module. It's been a good engine but I don't like the cam for a truck and it has never got better than 12-13 mpg. One thing that would help is an intake heater which I don't have. The biggest problem with these engines is the head. A good clean up job is well worth the effort but even hogged as far as you can go the engine would be lucky to ever make 1 hp per cubic inch. And you have to listen to a six banger.:(

There are MANY options for that motor. I have spent some time looking that crap up because of my 250. I wish mine was a 300 because those have a removable intake, mine is cast in the head. Also if you want to make some good power the Aussie head for those is a cross flow, intake and exhaust on opposite sides. At least I know that is the case for the 250s. There was a 250 that ran a 9something in a 1/4. But that was turboed.

I like in line six engines. The bottom end on a inline six is usually extremely strong. I have a Cummins and a 4.0 litre in a Jeep. The 49 is the only V-8 I own. Ford 300 is a good motor. If the flathead fails, a 300 goes in.

I think its the 87-up 300's out of the trucks have split exhaust manifolds, which is a cheap way to run duals and make em sound a lot better. I've 2 pickups and 2 full sized broncos with the 300. The trucks I had were fuel injected and the broncos were carbed. The carbed motors had more power and got slightly better mileage. They're dang good motors and will run forever even with only one quart of oil in em lol.

Yea I think I am going to setup something neat on them like individual throttle bodies and some fuel injection, I want to try my hand at some tuning at some point...

There are MANY options for that motor. I have spent some time looking that crap up because of my 250. I wish mine was a 300 because those have a removable intake, mine is cast in the head. Also if you want to make some good power the Aussie head for those is a cross flow, intake and exhaust on opposite sides. At least I know that is the case for the 250s. There was a 250 that ran a 9something in a 1/4. But that was turboed.

No good heads for the 300. There was a company that was going to cast some good crossflow heads but I think all they got was a couple prototypes. A few racers have built a head from a pair of Cleveland heads by bandsawing a cylinder off each one and furnace brazing the pieces. It does make one breath but not something most of us would tackle.
I forgot to mention, I also have the EFI exhaust manifolds on mine.

actually they cut each cylinder separate on the Cleveland heads as the cylinder spacing is too far different compared to the 300 six cyl, and then they furnace braze the six pieces together.

on chevy 6's you can cut 1 cylinder off each head and weld 2 three cylinder sections together because the chevy SB an 6 cyl. share the same cylinder spacing.

Yea I think I am going to setup something neat on them like individual throttle bodies and some fuel injection, I want to try my hand at some tuning at some point...

GSX-R 750 Throttle bodies would be perfect, then you just need to bake up a intake manifold like I did on my KA

GSX-R 750 Throttle bodies would be perfect, then you just need to bake up a intake manifold like I did on my KA

Heh... is that in an easy bake oven Bow? [cl[cl[cl

I built a complete manifold for a VK56DE motor when I was doing the V8 240 that was sold to help buy my current house. I would probably use the FI manifold from the later years of the 300, at least the bottom of it, and then I could run the ITBs straight up, would look awesome!

Heh... is that in an easy bake oven Bow? [cl[cl[cl

Correct, but ignore th ewarning stickers and go witha 200 watt light bulb... [;)

I built a complete manifold for a VK56DE motor when I was doing the V8 240 that was sold to help buy my current house. I would probably use the FI manifold from the later years of the 300, at least the bottom of it, and then I could run the ITBs straight up, would look awesome!

Yes, that would look bad ass

Latest posts

Back