Pickups w/ steel flat beds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gretsch

Question for all of you guys - how much of a pain in the a** is it to remove steal flat beds from 40's pickups and replace with a standard bed? Crazy money for someone to do it or a couple cases of beer? ;)

Why not keep the flat bed?

I love this truck!! fellow RRR member too.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 30
Here's another flatbed. I like it - but then, it's mine.

Attachments

• rear L 09-12.jpg
    rear L 09-12.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 41
  • '53.jpg
    '53.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 24
who says I would get rid of it? :D Just curious if I'd be buying myself into a hole of hardship and $$$ in order to put on a proper bed if I want to - have seen some beautiful wood beds around - I like yours. Just keeping my options open.

Sick truck DJ3100!!!

Thanks.

The flatbed on my '53 sets the truck apart from all the other restorations and restorods that are out there. Adding some detail, like wooden sides, stake pockets, or even striping to the flatbed could make your truck very distinctive, also.

The area under the bed, in front of the wheelwells, on my truck has boxes I made to fit and match the bed, but that area could also have round fuel or air tanks like a big rig. Or hooks with tire chains or ???? I think the flat bed offers lots of options that the stock bed doesn't.

Once you put the stock bed on, folks start evaluating the workmenship. Truck beds need a lot of "workmanship" ($$$$) to get them back to marginal.

Just some food for thought.

DJ...

I think we need to see some more pictures of your flat bed!

Mine wasn't a big deal at all to go to a stepside bed.The flatbed was just clamped on with u-bolts. This is the way I bought it about 16 years ago, and the way it is now.

Attachments

• '49.jpg
    '49.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 36
  • as found 1 032.jpg
    as found 1 032.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 6
DJ...

I think we need to see some more pictures of your flat bed!

Corpo, I'll post a new thread with pics of my '53.

I like that ebay truck. I think the only problem with putting the stepside on it comes in the form of $$$$. It will probably be difficult to find a serviceable, original bed. Repops aren't all that expensive for the sheet metal -$700 - $1500 (maybe those prices are out of date). But by the time you add the wood, divider strips, hardware, prep and paint it all adds up. I have about $700 in my flatbed which includes metal, wood, sandblasting, paint, boxes, and bed liner. And it has a trunk.

Latest posts

Back