Pics of my 24T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chop_shop

9 months of building and ended up with this
24 t body fiber glass
1940 ford truck bed
dirt track style tires
rear mount radiater
rack and pinion steering
suicide shifter
motorcycle chain windshield frame
baby food jar tail lamps
Farmall M tractor grille
ammo box gage box
lunch box glove box
oil pan drive shaft cover

Attachments

• DSCN0848.jpg
    DSCN0848.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN0851.jpg
    DSCN0851.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN0859.jpg
    DSCN0859.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN0861.jpg
    DSCN0861.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 128
More pics

Attachments

• DSCN0884.jpg
    DSCN0884.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN0888.jpg
    DSCN0888.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN0889.jpg
    DSCN0889.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN0908.jpg
    DSCN0908.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 66
more pics

Attachments

• DSCN0865.jpg
    DSCN0865.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN0882.jpg
    DSCN0882.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN0890.jpg
    DSCN0890.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN0907.jpg
    DSCN0907.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 61
few more

Attachments

• DSCN0910.jpg
    DSCN0910.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN0911.jpg
    DSCN0911.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0912.jpg
    DSCN0912.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0914.jpg
    DSCN0914.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 47
A rigidly mounted steering rack with a solid axle setup toes the suspension in when your axle travels up and down. This is similar to bump steer, except the wheels will no longer stay parallel.

Your front leaf spring is almost colinear with the shackles. This setup could bind upon rebound. Also, what is the front caster?

As far as the brake pushrod goes, if one of those welds break, you won't be able to stop the car. I'm also pretty sure that the pushrod, especially at that length, would flex quite a bit upon hard braking.

I think you've built a sweet looking car. I really dig it. If it were me, I would address these few points. It would be a shame to lose such a nice car and possibly get hurt.

Good luck buddy! :)

A rigidly mounted steering rack with a solid axle setup toes the suspension in when your axle travels up and down. This is similar to bump steer, except the wheels will no longer stay parallel.

Your front leaf spring is almost colinear with the shackles. This setup could bind upon rebound. Also, what is the front caster?

As far as the brake pushrod goes, if one of those welds break, you won't be able to stop the car. I'm also pretty sure that the pushrod, especially at that length, would flex quite a bit upon hard braking.

:)

Guess its not as safe as all the other cars/trucks on this forum ,maybe should trailer everywhere(WTF)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a sweet rod! I don't know anything about suspension/brake geometry, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the oldtimers around here....
How is your double tank setup? Do they operate as one, or do you have to switch them? I'm going to use saddle tanks and trying to get ideas. The overflow out back is unique- especially with pink coolant.....

Anyway, good job!

Chop Shop,
Don't get too worked up. People here try to help each other and I'm sure Motorhead has your best interests at heart.
If you are like most of us, if you discover something about your rod that doesn't work to your liking, you'll change it.
I have mounted a few racks to the front axle and I know that works well. Mounting to the frame can cause problems. However, I've talked to a few guys with that set up and they are satisfied with how it works.
On a cross-mounted spring you get the best suspension performance if the shackles are a 45 degrees with the weight of the vehicle on the spring. Again. it doesn't always work out that way. If you have ride problems, that is an area to look at.

You have built a really cool looking rod. Enjoy it this summer.

That is a sweet rod! I don't know anything about suspension/brake geometry, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the oldtimers around here....
How is your double tank setup? Do they operate as one, or do you have to switch them? I'm going to use saddle tanks and trying to get ideas. The overflow out back is unique- especially with pink coolant.....

Anyway, good job!

This thing drives great with zero problems,no bump steer and the brake rod has a rebar backing that is not seen any pics (hard to see in person). The fuel tanks have one valve that separate left to right or both off. It is nice to have a 5 3/4 gallon reserve, just a twist of a valve. The pink antifreeze is just different(everybody uses green).

Chop Shop,
Don't get too worked up. People here try to help each other and I'm sure Motorhead has your best interests at heart.
If you are like most of us, if you discover something about your rod that doesn't work to your liking, you'll change it.
I have mounted a few racks to the front axle and I know that works well. Mounting to the frame can cause problems. However, I've talked to a few guys with that set up and they are satisfied with how it works.
On a cross-mounted spring you get the best suspension performance if the shackles are a 45 degrees with the weight of the vehicle on the spring. Again. it doesn't always work out that way. If you have ride problems, that is an area to look at.

You have built a really cool looking rod. Enjoy it this summer.

Tried to get 45 degree but this the only happy medium I could get. Have not had any binding .I have drivin it about 500 miles with no problems.Thanks

Guess its not as safe as all the other cars/trucks on this forum ,maybe should trailer everywhere(WTF)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you throwing a fit? If you're this sensitive about critisism, don't post pictures. I was just giving you my honest opinion and trying to help.

Not to get into a peein' match ........... but I would much rather have someone point out what may be a design flaw, have a closer look at it and correct it if necessary, before I kill someone or myself.

Where I live, nothing modified goes on the road until it is inspected and certified by an automotive engineer, a practice that should be adopted by all governments.

[P
Not to get into a peein' match ........... but I would much rather have someone point out what may be a design flaw, have a closer look at it and correct it if necessary, before I kill someone or myself.

Where I live, nothing modified goes on the road until it is inspected and certified by an automotive engineer, a practice that should be adopted by all governments.

So it would not be allowed to bolt rack to frame only to axle then? Every vehicle on road that hits a bump the toe will change regardless of design.My vehicle inspection passed so thanks for all the help.[P

i think its a cool ride....... there is always differences of opinions when it comes to build designs......
BTW you will not find a rack (that i know of) that is mounted in "floating" with the suspension from the factory--all of them are body/frame mounted and are designed NOT TO MOVE......so i wouldn't personally see that as a huge issue
the chain-link brake linkage is one that people might fear, however who has built a rat rod that doesn't have some welding in "critical" areas---frame, supension mount points, motor mounts, even steering rods/linkages come to mind instantly......let's face it every ratrod is riding on welds!! just make sure those welds are good.....
and once again i love the ride-its look and attitude.....thanks for sharing and don't take ANY criticism as being an attack on your build this is a really easy going & non-judgmental forum please keep that in mind if someone comments negatively -- its just concern for your safety and ther safety of others who share the road with you.....:cool::cool:

Latest posts

Back