Pilot House Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what my 46 is called but I think it's considered a WC series. 48 thru 52 are Pilot house, 53-59 are Job rated, 61-71 are Sweptline, 72 to 80 I think are Lifestyle series. I was really into Swept lines and have a 68 D100 now. That's all I know.

Don

I have a friend who is collecting Dodge trucks, from '39 to '52. What he tells me is, the tall windshield and upper cab on the '48 to '52 trucks makes them look like a pilothouse. I believe some of what he says.
Give me older Dodge truck anytime, anything from '47 back to the teens. ---- I insist.

I have a '52 Dodge B3b pilothouse, my build thread is on here,

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30277

Its still in progress and no where close to being done yet.

But as others have said they called them "pilothouses" because of the shape of the cab. Its bigger than the generation of trucks before it and allowed better visibility. They also did other things like make the inside roomier for the passengers and on some models they went to 3 on the tree shifting. This was so you could fit another passenger in the middle. I believe they also moved the front axle to allow for tighter turning radius. I was fortunate enough to be able to drive my '52 a couple times before taking it all apart and starting my build. I'll tell you, for being a 60 year old ride it certainly handled pretty darn well. So the Chrysler engineers definitely did something right. Although i love my pilothouse i really like the body style of the Dodge brothers and WC series trucks better. I think they had much better flowing lines. Well i hope my long winded response gives you some more insight :D

-Chris

Thanks a lot man. This site motivates me a lot to try and do work on it. Seeing all these awesome builds makes me wanna be able to enjoy mine.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back