Piston Wrist Pin Removal/Install

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32Bowtie_Rat

Connecting Rods & Piston Wrist Pin

Hi everyone! [dr

I'm rebuilding my 350 chevy engine & have started on the lower end. Crank is installed & I'm ready for the next step of putting the pistons back into place.

I would like to re-use the connecting arms and have new piston heads. Is there an easy was to remove the stock pressed piston wrist pins? What about installing the new ones?

What wouldn't allow me to use the existing connecting rods? Is there any specific wear marks I would see?

Is this something I can do myself or should I be taking it to a machine shop? What would the approximate cost be?

Thanks in advance! [;)

Last edited:
Here is a couple of pictures of the rods & end caps.

What strikes me as odd is there some "streaks" underneath the bearings. Some bearings fell right out when I removed the connecting rods from the crank while others remained in place.

Would those marks be caused from the bearings starting to spin? Do the connecting rods need to be replaced? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG-20130615-01128.jpg
    IMG-20130615-01128.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-20130616-01129.jpg
    IMG-20130616-01129.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Take them to a shop, recon the rods, over time the rod ends get a little out of round. an engine shop will have the right tools to get you fixed up.

I hope you marked the rods and caps,its not a one size fits all? A machine shop can press your new pistons on.

The pins are pressed into the rods and must be pressed out. The machine shop will have the fixture and press to remove them. As mentioned, at least have them check the big end for out of round and size. This is a very critical part of engine rebuilding. The small end of the rod can be heated and the pin will slip right in. This is a pretty tricky operation. You have to make sure the piston is facing the correct way and that the pin will be centered when you are finished. I have installed many a set on a kitchen stove or even with a small propane torch. If you have never done it before you will probably be $$$ ahead to just let the machine shop change out your pistons.

I dropped off the piston heads & connecting rods at the machine shop. Will only cost me $80 & really happy with that.

He showed me the process he uses & m better off having someone do that for me. He also showed me what happens when the piston wrist pin gets stuck... What a mess.

His shop was a rat rodders dream... Going back in to see what he'll sell.

Latest posts

Back