Placement of new front crossmember.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRATT

I am busy working on a Model A frame and I cut out the old front one but kinda having a problem with placement of the new one.I did mark on the frame where the old one came out but really dont know if it should be placed more to the rear or more the the front.Having read several threads about angle I dont think I can get 7 degrees lean back on the new one,best I could get was 3 degrees...do I see a problem in the future..?

Attachments

• SANY0577.jpg
    SANY0577.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 29
  • SANY0573.jpg
    SANY0573.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 23
I think the 7 degrees your referring to is in the front axle not the cross member. What type of front suspension are you using... what are your plans?

Your right..

Your right Kelsey,I have been reading too much info and starting to get it crossed up.Traded some extra parts for a new 4 inch drop axle.Had a local company make my front spring in trade for some other stuff.Thats about as far as it gets....my real job keeps me busy.Any ideas on the cross member placement.?

The 5-7 degrees is indeed how much the front axle needs to be leaned back. However this is controlled by whatever you attach the spring too. I always thought that angle was built into the crossmember . and if that is the case that angle is pre set assuming your frame etc will be at stock configeration . In order to check or set the angle , your frame and or crossmember needs to be at your final ride height and angle ( the angle your frame will be at ) which is determined by the size of your tires -big and littles cause a front down rake- your suspension , a 4" dropped axle brings the frame down 2-4" from stock , the weight of your engine and accesories .OR you can ignore all this ,build the car and when you are all done check the angle of the axle and place a beveled shim between your axle top and the crossmember until you get it right . This way is much easier and unless you are lucky doing it the other way you will probably have to shim it any way . If you are going to run with fenders , the crossmember needs to be in its stock location so the wheels fit under the fenders where they are supposed too.

Latest posts

Back