Planning... Still..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeS10

Still trying to muster up the confidence to plunge into buying a pickup cab and get rolling. I'm not totally feeling capable just yet being I have no welding skills and my professional welder friend.. Well they've got him traveling all over the country so I'm left to my devices. And to top it off I'm a bit overwhelmed on putting together a cohesive attainable setup. Still finishing up my house but I'm getting close so I'll be looking to buy something soon..

Here's what I've got: pickup cab possible bed possible not, no roof to help cut down on fab, z'd frame to run 28" white walls out back not sure on the front, manual trans, blown something, transverse or semi elliptical front leaf springs, coil over rear, but making it work is more my concern, I have some pictures of a couple Rods I have seen that are close to where I'd like to be on my *first* rod cause I'm sure I'll be building them throughout the years, I'm just infatuated and it helps my lady is too :p

So I guess I'm just lost where to start yet feeling a bit... Under skilled after seeing everyone's work and knowing the quality I expect from myself it's discouraging, any words from the wise?

mock up

start mocking up what ya can, it helps when people come over to help to set the direction where the build is going.

make a list of what ya have to do and do the things ya can.

gather every thing you think you need, that can cut down on store/parts runs and get organized, that way when people are there working it max's the production/time spent working on it.

l try and not be rude to family/friends who want something done other than shop time when everyone shows up to help. l politely tell them l have a limited amount of time with the people helping and l have to use it wisely. (in other words, l'll get to what ya want LATER:eek:)

hope that helps................

Later :cool:

I guess I'm afraid of getting in over my head on it, I have a general look in mind and I'm trying to keep the crazy metal work to a minimum being as I have no experience with a welder and just a basic mechanical skill set dealing mainly with engine work so this is a whole new deal for me..

I'll try to post some pictures up later so you can see a general concept

skill

don't get crazy or in over yer head, you'll get frustrated and want to quite.

do what you feel comfortable doing and get help where ya have to.

do a simple build first, then on future projects go nuts.

just sitting in the garage in pieces ain't no fun.

sometimes the simple approach is best.

l wanted to chop and do a bunch more things on the dodge truck, but time, money and skill kept it simple and now looking back, it turned out great.

the 30ish dodge sedan is the one l am getting crazy with and it is taking a lot longer to do than l hoped for or planned on.

its like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.

Later :cool:

These three are what I'm hoping to be in the neighborhood of..

4e277827.jpg

aed7a6f5.jpg

0cb3d501.jpg

Lack of welding skill will make this hobby a pain instead of a pleasure. I am sure everyone here will agree that if you committed to a welding class at the local junior college right now you would always be glad you did.

Been searching and can't find one! Everything I'm finding is drawn out over a bunch of courses so the plan is for my friend whose a welder by profession to teach me

Get a welder and start practicing. If you buy one, get a 220v gas unit. Your pro welder buddy will set you straight. If you have to do any frame modification, do the fab work and tack all into place, then have your friend come in and finish weld it for you. As for the cab framing and sheet metal, start with the stuff you won't really see like the floor pans. Work your way up to a chop top.

If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way.

You just need basic skill sets for most of the stuff anyway.
Do what others here are suggesting and get started man ;)

Latest posts

Back