please look at my frame, input

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerchooper

here are pictures of my frame, i would like to know if this looks fine with the structure.

would you change anything?

add anything?

did i miss something?

the drive shaft safety loop will be part of the body/ tranny tunnel. i also have to do the shock, rear bump stops and a couple odds and ends.

finframe001.jpg

finframe003.jpg

finframe006.jpg

What kind of body is going on it?

Looks real good though. You just need a cross member in front of the rear axle, where the Z kicks up and a trans cross member that I would make a "K" member. Here is what I did, though the rear cross member was heavier than needed.

You might want to reinforce the Z's with external fish plates, if you don't already have them internally.

Attachments

• CIMG3053.jpg
    CIMG3053.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 103
What is your caster sitting at right now? Doesn't look like enough, even when the weight of the engine and all drop the car lower. Could just be camera angle though.

I'd like to see closer shots of the rear end setup too. Not sure about that panhard bar setup.

Don

What kind of body is going on it?

Looks real good though. You just need a cross member in front of the rear axle, where the Z kicks up and a trans cross member that I would make a "K" member. Here is what I did, though the rear cross member was heavier than needed.

You might want to reinforce the Z's with external fish plates, if you don't already have them internally.
ok, got the cross member for the rear end, going to get material for the fish plates. 1933 olds. i made a tranny member, im kinda looking to do away with the k member. will i miss anything?

That was my first thought.
answered above.

What is your caster sitting at right now? Doesn't look like enough, even when the weight of the engine and all drop the car lower. Could just be camera angle though.

I'd like to see closer shots of the rear end setup too. Not sure about that panhard bar setup.

Don
caster is at 6* back. the air bags are higher than ride height. i also have it cut 90% loose to adjust when i have 100% of the cars weight on it.

i have a removable tranny member, its made out of 1"x2"x1/8" with a piece of 1"x1"x1/8" welded under it in the meat zone.

i kinda want to keep away from the member at the rear kick up, what would that hurt?

I think without that rear crossmember and the torque of that 455 Olds you run the risk of twisting the frame and the body. It needs the crossmember to add rigidity and strength. Just my 2 cents. Really looking good, you are very talented.

what would be the minumin size 1 would use?

thank you 42chevy.

only reason i ask about size is im cramped for room. i might be able to get a 2x4 in there but it will take some work.

Remove K member? I would make sure the rails are tied together by your bags. I've seen frames twist under load test without a crossmember by the suspension. Have you thought about axel wrap? Can't see the rear that well. Good job.

The panhard looks sketchy. Looks to have a real tall mount off the axel.

it was bought at summit. its tall about 10".

i welded fish plates on all z'ed sections and also added a 2"x 3/16" wall cross member infront of the rear diff on the z kick up about mid way. that will allow me enough room for every thing else.

Latest posts

Back