Poll: San Francisco Opportunity??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorodders

Fellow Rats,
I value your unpopular opinions and I wanted to see what you think. We have a very unique home in the mtns overlooking Denver and 14k ft. mountains. But, the wife doesn't appreciate the snow and cooler weather. She's from Tx.. She had me suckered into moving to the Austin, Tx area to be closer to family and her friends. I applied to a City of San Francisco job just a couple weeks ago and already had a phone interview and received the job offer just a couple hours after an interview! It's unheard of receiving a City offer that quick. I worked for 3 other city and counties and it normally takes 2 to 3 months.
I love the Bay area! Northern Cal and the Tahoe area is my favorite part of the country. The wage is livable especially when added to my wife's potential in her career there. I have 3 businesses I do from home that I can take with me anywhere I go. We will keep our mtn home in CO and rent it out. It's too unique to get rid of and will more than pay for itself.
The wife is afraid of the move for my job offer. She knows I'll tell a boss to f... off for the fun of it but, I would only do that if he was an ass and there is no future at the job. She wants to be closer to family but, I'm opportunistic and my main goal is to pass down as much as I can to my future generations. If I have to be away from the tribe or village so be it. Family and friends can move close to us if they think it's that important. I don't want a regular "diarrhea" life. With today's communication means and I can fly for $60 round trip, I'm going for the opportunity.
I plan on building some serious Rat Rods and would think California would be Rat Rod friendly but, not sure?
Thanks guys..

Sure if you want too live in one of the most expensive areas in the country and most liberal over regulated state. I move out of the Bay Area 10 years ago and would never move back.

Maybe I'm wrong but, I take the stance of nothing is cut and dry and there's ways to get around... And, if I'm right, I don't want some ***holes keeping me from living in what I call paradise.

I was born there and have been back a couple of times. Love the city. great chopper scene out there. It was actually rated the most expensive place to live last year. The state of CA sux with all its auto regulations and such. Might be easier if you drive a pre 1949 vehicle. And you might be able to register all your stuff in CO. If your wife likes hot weather then the bay area is not for her. Fog, chilly wind and temps rule. 1 hour outside at you get hot weather. Having said all that I love to visit but would never live there again. Just my $.02

I was born there and have been back a couple of times. Love the city. great chopper scene out there. It was actually rated the most expensive place to live last year. The state of CA sux with all its auto regulations and such. Might be easier if you drive a pre 1949 vehicle. And you might be able to register all your stuff in CO. If your wife likes hot weather then the bay area is not for her. Fog, chilly wind and temps rule. 1 hour outside at you get hot weather. Having said all that I love to visit but would never live there again. Just my $.02

I guess the real question is where would he live, in the city or out a ways. Not sure I could live in SF, even when I do enjoy the city alot, but I grew up in small town N CA. :cool:

I have had no issues with CA auto regulations, at least with all of our pre 73 cars.

Sales taxes are high, income taxes are in the top 10 of the nation I believe now. But CA does have some very nice scenery, etc.

I moved back to N CA from Idaho, because I wanted more warmth and well, a better career path.

Now I have the career and some toys in this state of awful auto regulations...

They let us get away with these around here.....

IMG_20120809_180420.jpg

shot_12969557110264x6.jpg

If your main goal is to pass down as much as you can then why any particular city?? Sounds like your wife isn't too keen on SF as well. I learned years ago from a man much older than me that a happy wife is a happy life. All that being said - If it were me with the goals you mentioned, I'd look to move where she would be happy and you can make the money you want. Just my 2 cents.

California is having financial trouble, fact, cities going bankrupt, fact, Californians moving to TX, fact, I think I would look for another paradise.
Yes I have lived their.

Dig deep into your pockets

Dig deep into your pockets. It is only going too get worse there as far as taxes goes. Maybe it is unsustainable there.

To quote Mark Twain. "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
I spent a couple of summers with my Aunt in the area. You could not give the the whole city of San Francisco or the Bay area for that matter. Oakland is much much much worse.

By the way ask your wife if she prefers snow or earthquakes.
My .02

Cal is insolvent to the tune of $200 billion

CARB, the (California Air Resources Board) will eventually kill hot rodding.
They're passing iron fisted regulations every day based on junk science.
They want us all living in cities and renting electric vehicles.

I wouldn't do it.

I appreciate all your input guys! Each of us has to choose our own path in life and look ourselves first in the mirror. We gotta be true to ourselves... As Rat's especially we not the type to be put in a box or be lead around without our own thinking. I'm very opportunistic and not afraid of change. I will dive into this rare opportunity and see where it leads. I can always transport to a different area.

Good luck whatever choice you make......

if that little voice inside is telling you to make the move, it's usually the Lord guiding you.....that being said.....hope the move is a prosperous one.....God bless....

Sorry to say I think "You'll be sorry":( your hot rod will not be welcome.:eek:
You asked.............I can't wait to leave California you can't fix broken......

Think of it this way....

Where else would a nut job hippy like Jerry Brown be elected for an unconstitutional third term, and drain his state over a 19th century technology train from nowhere to nowhere.

I love San Francisco

once a year with my wife for about 4 days. We have so much fun there. Live there? heck no! I lived north of there out on the coast from 87 to 93...........cold. I have a home in Steamboat Springs CO and 12 below there is warmer than 40 above in SF. In addition to DMW56's statement
" if you want too live in one of the most expensive areas in the country and most liberal over regulated state." What's the income tax in CA now? 11%
Like Undercover Customs said "a happy wife is a happy life" Go to Texas
man, zero state income tax, it's a no brainer.[S

Every city and every State has people who live there and love it. San Francisco is no different. While some of us might think it would not be great living there obviously lots of people there disagree.

I say take the chance. In our early years we moved around a lot every time a better opportunity came up. Some relatives felt we were not doing the right thing for our two Sons, but each move enriched their lives and gave them new and exciting experiences. My Wife and I approached it as a positive adventure and the kids thought of it that way too.

We lived in California for a year and couldn't leave fast enough. (No disrespect to you guys who live there) it just wasn't for us. We are small town people and the rat race in So Cal and the cost of living were killing us. But, if we had moved to Nor Cal it might have been different. We went to Sacramento on some business and my wife and I both agreed we liked that part of the State better. But that is just us. Your mileage may differ. :D

You can always go back if it doesn't work out. But one downside is that you will have to change your user name on here.:)

Don

I was born and raised in Marin county, now transplanted to Sonoma county. It is stunningly beautiful here. The city of San Francisco is another story. If you're going to work for the city, you're going to have to live in or fairly close to the city. You won't like it! Where to begin...........
1) Parking doesn't exist.
2) Homes are mostly small boxes with no yards, piled on top of one another.
3) Home prices and/or rents are in the stratosphere.
4) If you don't care for traffic, just shoot yourself now!
5) Crazy drivers and lots of really strange people.
6) Police shoot first and ask questions later.
7) Cold weather.......always, cold weather........bone chilling cold weather.
8) With the high cost of living there, our ridiculous CARB influenced automotive regulations and the general all around weirdness in the city, I would look elsewhere.

once a year with my wife for about 4 days. We have so much fun there. Live there? heck no! I lived north of there out on the coast from 87 to 93...........cold. I have a home in Steamboat Springs CO and 12 below there is warmer than 40 above in SF. In addition to DMW56's statement
" if you want too live in one of the most expensive areas in the country and most liberal over regulated state." What's the income tax in CA now? 11%
Like Undercover Customs said "a happy wife is a happy life" Go to Texas
man, zero state income tax, it's a no brainer.[S

If you make over the mil mark it is higher than that.... 12.3% plus the mental health service tax which is a 1% tax on income over the mil mark.

One of my clients had a good year this year, made a bit over 1.5 mil this year. About 1.3 mil of it was capital gain, so his marginal rate Federal rate was 15% and his Ca marginal rate was 12.3%.

But because of how the tables work, his effective tax rates were on his income were 15.8% federal and 5.2% in California. He actually paid a higher effective tax rate in Iowa and Oregon than he did in California.

Most people in California are at the 9.3% or the next marginal level of 10.3%.

And I think SF sales tax rate is now 8.5%.

I personally prefer it here in N Cal to SF, but then again I like a dry heat :cool:

Went to San Francisco this weekend. Got to meet the boss, tour the shop, and visit different areas that we might be interested living in. We're really liking Half Moon Bay!!!
Not a bad drive from the airport, nice forests, beautiful coast, cool downtown, and nice hills/mtns. The job seems like it will be a good one. It's looking more like it's a go..

Latest posts

Back