Poly tanks and fuel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOT40ROD

I called one local vendor and another well known vendor trying to find a poly tank for a 55 Chevy. Both of them told that they stop selling poly tanks because the new fuel eats through them. has anyone else heard of this?

I am wondering if it true, because I have a poly tank for the 40 ford and my Harley F150 has a poly tank like a lot of other cars and trucks out there.

Also will it doing anything to the tanks coatings?

Did this new fuel open a can of worms that will cause a lot of headaches down the road? I do know this new fuel is junk.

I know from being in the marine industry that the new fuels eat the old poly gas tanks like there is no tomorrow. We had a lot of problems where people had those tanks in their boats and the gas they were putting in the tanks recently actually ate holes in them.

It is also raising hell with the rest of the fuel system, like carb parts, fuel lines, etc.

Ain't progress great! :(

Don

I've had a poly tank in my car for 18 years without any problems yet! I hope I don't, now that I read this thread. Don, can you expand on this? ...CR

If it was not for the fact that the 55 Chevy tank the coating is peeling off and clogging the fuel filter. We put a new intake and carb on the motor with a new Russel street filter. The filter clogged in about a week. Took it apart and it was full of black dirt that looked like coffee grounds. took the old carb apart and it was full of the same stuff so I cut the old fuel filter apart and it was full of the same stuff. The local carb. expert looked it over and said use a paper filter until you get the tank changed. He said the dirt is small enough to go though the jets. We put a clear plastic filter on for now and have a couple extra so when it get dirty we can change it out.

I scope the tank and found that all the coating is coming loose. The tank was sealed about 18 years ago.

When I called for a new tank and found all this out. So now I am worried about some of my stuff and some bike tanks I built and sold. The tank for the 40 was never used but it is an older poly tank. the coffin tank I built I would treat and seal them just for insurance.

I do not need a tank full of fuel on the floor in the garage.

I've had a poly tank in my car for 18 years without any problems yet! I hope I don't, now that I read this thread. Don, can you expand on this? ...CR

All I know is that in the past couple of years working in the marine repair business we started to see boat after boat coming in with fuel related problems. At first we, and the engine manufacturers, were thinking the new gasolines simply turned bad much faster than the gasolines of old. Even things like Stabil weren't providing the long term storage protection they once had.

Then we started to see strange substances in the carbs and fuel injection systems.......like jelly almost. We finally realized it was the insides of the tanks and fuel systems being broken down by the ethenol. The worst were the fiberglass tanks because it would dissolve the resin lining the inside of the tank, but we also started seeing those red and gray poly tanks starting to be eaten up by the gasoline. We had one sailboat come in with the red portable fuel tank that he had just put in a week before and the inside was all soft and gummy. He was blaming the fuel tank maker, but it was really the gas that did it in.

Supposedly, cars made before 1980 or so are the ones that are not able to handle the new fuels. The oil companies were touting this stuff as being our savior, but there is a lot of evidence now that E-10 is creating some serious fuel system problems and accelerating repairs for motorists and boaters.

Oh, there is also some evidence it attacks the insides of aluminum and steel tanks too, cleaning away corrosion and putting it into the fuel system. Great news, huh?

Don

Thanks for the info Don! I bought my tank around 1990 or 91, hope it lasts. What are we supposed to use? I can't install a regular tank because my car is tubbed.....CR

Thanks for the info Don! I bought my tank around 1990 or 91, hope it lasts. What are we supposed to use? I can't install a regular tank because my car is tubbed.....CR

And I want to hide my tank in the bed box and a marine tank is the only thing I have found that will fit. [S

My 93 T-Bird has the factory plastic tank in it. I haven't experienced any fuel related issues with the ethynol yet other than a gas mileage drop.

And I want to hide my tank in the bed box and a marine tank is the only thing I have found that will fit. [S

My 93 T-Bird has the factory plastic tank in it. I haven't experienced any fuel related issues with the ethynol yet other than a gas mileage drop.

As for the gas mileage dropping. Was out looking for a car for my girl friend about 1 1/2 months ago. Fund out from the one dealer that there is a Old and New Gas mileage rating for all the cars. The new rating is about 2-4 Mile per gallon less.

And My one Harley and my 92 Ford ranger does not like the new fuel. The harley I got to leave the chock on just a hair for it to run right. Found some Non ethynol fuel and it runs good. .My Stock ranger, I have to run middle grade fuel or it gets grumpy and does not want to idle and the valve ping like there going to come out of the motor.

I'm not sure what the solution is. This is the future we are saddled with unfortunately. I hope Edelbrock, Holley, and others in the aftermarket have or will make parts that are compatible with the new fuels.

On a side note, the marina I worked at still had the old gas still available, no ethenol, just straight gas, and it even had some Valvoline additive in it to clean the system and take care of moisture in the gas. So it looks like some of the old stuff is still being made, for how long I don't know.

Don

I won't use ethanol blends if I can avoid it. Another example of lobbiests running our country. If it weren't for taxpayer subsidies, no one could afford it.

ethanol in tanks

when i used to deliver fuel,the ethanol broke down the stuff that was coated on the inside of the tank from all the leaded gas that was in the tank over the years.it plugged up filters till the tank and lines were shiny but never heard of it eatin poly tanks:eek:

Latest posts

Back