Pontiac 261 Inline 6

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roddguy1

I have a couple questions for all the inliner guys here. I'm in the planing stage for my daughters rat. It's to be ready for her 17th birthday. I've picked up a Pontiac 261 inline, T-5 trans, and a 9" rear for the drive line. My first question is what bell housing works on this engine? Is it the standard Chev type bolt pattern? Second, I can perchase a four barrel intake and carb that I know came from a 250 six. Is this intake interchangable with the 261.
Does anyone have any good sources of tech for these engines? I've not had to much experience with them.

The US 261 was the truck model of the 235 from the early 50s to around 60. Its not the same as the 250/292 sixes (they are a bunch better).

I've owned quite a few of both US series, but have only heard of the Canadian 261 (I'm in Arkansas), and I think it belongs to the 250/292 family, but not sure. I had a 250 that had been boared out 125 thou (1/8") and used stock SBC 327 forged popups in it--3 7/8" up to 4''?? That might be 261? Its been a long time. The dirt guys did alot of piston/rod swapping in the 6 cyl classes.

That motor never really ran like it should have--maybe the wrong cam.. It was originally an alky dirt track motor with a big time heavily worked head that I put a stock head on to get the CR down to streetable, and put in a milder cam.. Dirt track guys will try anything.

Not much help--HUH?? But anyway--I think the US 250 intake and standard SBC trannies will fit. Maybeso :) ?

PA41

Last edited:
I searched through my stuff and found a vague mention in the Chevrolet Inline Six Cylinder Power Manual. I scanned the pages for you. Sniper

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 12
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 10
I searched through my stuff and found a vague mention in the Chevrolet Inline Six Cylinder Power Manual. I scanned the pages for you. Sniper

So according to that info, the Canadian 261 is the early series with the 235.

Good to know.

PA41

Latest posts

Back