posi for a coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipper

Ok here's another question what would a good posi rearend be for a 31 coupe I will be running a 465bhp 383 sbc 700r on 16" wheels this is where I call on my brothers for help:D

Not sure what width you need but you have a lot of options. Also you need to decide if you want disc or drum brakes. For newer stuff any Mustang GT should have a posi and be plentiful in the salvage yards. S-10 four wheel drive should have a posi in the rear. Or find a 9" cut and build to your specs.

With that much hp the only rear I would consider is a 9 inch Ford. Yeah, 12 bolt GM and Dana's are strong, but dollar for dollar the 9 incher is still the best deal, IMO. They are plentiful and lighter than the two I mentioned. A Mustang 8.8 would be my second choice.

If you are asking about a posi that means you are thinking of leaning on the gas pedal, and a Trackloc 9 incher will take about anything you can toss at it on the street, and with modifications for drag use.

Don

I really dig a spool, they tend to make cornering a bit more fun and when ya do put ur foot in it it goes in a straight line, a posi will kick out to the side and get a good fish tail goin on. My op

Ricers are easy. I just smoked one a couple of nights ago. :D Pulled out from a redlight and heard him kick it. I didn't even downshift into 2nd. :D

Those guys have been watching too much Fast and Furious.

Don

The ole trusty 9" like Don said is the rear of choice.
The 9" ford pickups had 31 spline axles instead of the 28 spline in the cars and you can redrill the axle flanges for any wheel bolt pattern.
I think the 58, 59 fords were the narrowest of them all at around 58 1/2"
The 96 up Ford Explorer (correct me if I'm wrong on year) has an 8.8 posi disk brake rear and should be the right width for the 31
Go bust a ricers ars ;)

Another good thing about using a 9" is the axle splines are straight where a GM is tapered making them harder to work with unless you buy new axles.

explorer 8.8 from 1995 to 2001 have larger tubes than the mustang rear and also have 31 spline axles and are narrower than the mustang and have larger disc brakes. can be modified to take 1000 hp. the v8 explorer has a posi, v6 most don't.

Latest posts

Back