Possible Project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahatawa

I have been cruising this board for as long as it has been up i think. i have not been in a position to start a project and have had to just sit and dream about having one. I search the paper, craigslist, and the internet all the time looking for a project. Well, it happened. Craigslist. Woman's husband dies and she wants to sell about 30 of his "project." They have over 350 prime candidates but aren't selling all of them

While i was there i helped load a complete 29 poncho sedan that had been in dry storage for 20 years. 2 51 merc's (4 dr). 4-6 nash metropolitans. I mean the place was crazy. my hands are shaking i am still so worked up. I think i have found my project. I know it is biting off more than i can chew but hear me out

I have gotten more into the custom type 49-54 cars and found a 1951-2? Pontiac. No engine or transmission (or wheels for what its worth). all the side trim is in tact and in decent shape. I didn't see the bumpers but would want to do something other than orig. more than likely anyway. oh well picture time. Tell me what you guys think...oh most important part. 700$ towed to and dropped off at my place.

drew

DSCN0148.jpg

DSCN0149.jpg

Well you're right, that's ambitious project. But it sure is a cool one and would be a nice platform for a custom. Did the front sheetmetal come with it?

Gastrick;

Yes. the front sheet metal does come with it and is straight and has the trim pieces i believe. If i do pull the trigger on this what do you guys think my priorities should be? my thought was sand it down/ blast it and get it in a coat of por or primer to stop the bleeding... too excited still sorry. i will stop typing.

wheels are 5x5 and he has a stack. the lugnuts are the bigger issue. left side being threaded the "wrong" way but he has a set on a poncho ambulance he has. no title but come on i live in MS. we aren't #50 for nothing. I can get it titled... do you think i could "buff" out that rust with some heavy gritted sandpaper?

and please feel free to discourage me... i am not sold on this thing yet

My thoughts when looking at this were..

1. i am going to put a new stub on the front (a la Tripper's 41) so that isn't a big concern.

2. engine and trans if they were there would be shot, so someone has done me a favor removing them

3. i was looking for a project to learn on and this has a lot of work left to do on it.

4. floors are never good so why get bent out of shape over them

5. the trim is there and in extremely good condition and who doesn't love some tasteful trim every once and a while.

So yeah those were my thoughts. My questions remaining are...

1. am i crazy to buy a project in general? (i think i am developing the sickness and this may only worsen it.

2. Is that roof gone or can i bring it back?

Donald; The Front is there and not in bad shape. My largest concern is the bodywork.

Finally i am going back sat with my camera. Any items i should look at/for (to help in the decision process)? Please keep the opinions coming... i need help with this decision and i trust you guys more than myself at this point

Here's some questions you should ask yourself:
1. Do I love this style of car?
2. Do I have the experience (or willingness to learn) to build it?
3. How much can I spend on it?
4. How nice of a finished car do I want?
5. Do I have 2000 hours of time to invest in it?
6. How much work will I have to farm out and can I pay for it?

The list goes on, but you get the point. This is a major project and will take time and money in pretty good amounts. If you are inexperienced, it would be easy to get discouraged. Too many projects have money and time poured into them and then get sold cheap because the person loses interest. Don't be that person.
Dealing with the surface rust won't be the biggest of your issues. Someone on RRR can give you good advice on how to do that. This car will need everything; engine, trans, rear end, front suspension, wiring, gas tank, interior, tires & wheels, body work, paint, etc. What you are starting with is a frame, sheet metal, glass and chrome. Figure everything else will have to be done or redone. It's a big job, but if you do it you will be a proud and happy guy.

I can only judge this by my local standards and I think the car is
#1, way too far gone
#2 way too much money
I would call it $100 parts car at best, but then I can buy cars like this for $200 with a title.

Attachments

• 47 carbs 064.jpg
    47 carbs 064.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 34
I would call it $100 parts car at best, but then I can buy cars like this for $200 with a title.

I hate you so much:D I really need to just go ahead and spend the money and make a trip to SD.

The car looks like it needs a lot of body work. If it were me I would wait and try to find something with a nicer body. A lot of people will agree that they would rather do mechanical work than body work.

If you arent going to build a frame for it, then heres your biggest concern: Are the rails good?

And $700 is a bit pricy for that espeacially since it does not have a title. I bought both of my cars for 500 each and both were titled and driven home. Id most likely say wait to find the sweetest deal, it will come.

Later days
Preston

Latest posts

Back