Power steering

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-R-POPS

''Rusty Mopar Slacker''
Hey guys,

I need help! After 60 years of life, hard work in the construction industry , fun and some not so smart moves, shoulder surgery and a degenerative joint desease I need to come up with a easy, cheap power steering Box to put on my '48 dodge build.

I was going to use a box off the old motor home but the rotation is wrong and I'm kinda used to going left when you turn the wheel left.

Any suggestion on a box that is readily available at the junk yard and will work with a power steering pump on the 440?
I'm building an air bagged front axle with drag link behind set up.

It really sucks to get old and wore out!!!

Would a saginaw box work....something off an

A body....cutlass, chevelle body style...I think they are 605 boxes or such..I believe those are rear steers...if you can use them, then get the bolt on top cover one not the snap ring one.....or so I'm told...

I'll admit I'm no Mopar expert but it seems it would make sense to try to find a Mopar box and pump from the same vehicle - easier to make the pressure hose connection and they are going to work together right. My memory may be faulty but I seem to remember the 70's Dart / Duster bodys were a rear steer setup??[S
Or go with GM stuff like Sarge said, mid to late 60's rear steer, use the GM pump too.
There is another work around solution that may work for you so you could use the motorhome box. Remove the pitman arm and grind or file out the double spline so you can reverse the pitman arm. Problem is that you would need to mount the box further ahead which may put it in conflict with other things...
When I get stumped, I often go to the boneyard and lift some hoods - old pickups often yield some good parts.

Don't make the mistake I did, putting power steering on my Cummins build project. I thought I would need a reverse steer box so I used a Chevy Astro box, made the frame hooked everything up and......it steered backwards!

After hours of staring at it turns out it was because I have the drag link behind and tie rod in front of the axle.(only way I could fit everything). That set up caused it to steer backwards.

My fix was easy, a Chevy S-10 box is the same box...just normal steering.

A body....cutlass, chevelle body style...I think they are 605 boxes or such..I believe those are rear steers...if you can use them, then get the bolt on top cover one not the snap ring one.....or so I'm told...

Thanks Sarge. I'll check it out.
Last week it just got to the point that nothing seemed to make sense.
Sometimes you just have to go do something else for a while.

Don't make the mistake I did, putting power steering on my Cummins build project. I thought I would need a reverse steer box so I used a Chevy Astro box, made the frame hooked everything up and......it steered backwards!

After hours of staring at it turns out it was because I have the drag link behind and tie rod in front of the axle.(only way I could fit everything). That set up caused it to steer backwards.

My fix was easy, a Chevy S-10 box is the same box...just normal steering.

Sometimes it's the simple things that confuse me.
Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back