Powerwashing engine

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wnaplay

Banned
Picked up an engine for the project last night and now I want to powerwash it before sitting it in. Unfortunately it does not have a carb yet, or water pump so there are openings all over this thing. Anyway to mask these areas so I can hit it with the powerwasher? What I have is the block, intake, distributor, heads, valve covers, oil pan, exhaust manifolds, and thats it. What holes should I worry about?

Just stuff rags in the holes. You will want to pull the spark plugs and oil the cylinders if its gonna set very long and it will give you a chance to get any water that might get by.

I've used a couple of layers of duct tape and had no problems. You just can't nail the duct tape dead on with the sprayer wand of course. As far as the errant splashing and over spray mist, it works fine. Don't use duct tape if you use a degreaser though, it melts the glue, and then you have a real stringy mess. Been there, done that.

I've used the quarter car wash a bunch of times to scrub up some engine, transmission, etc. Like the guys said, just plug any holes into the intake or oiling system and you will be fine. The cooling passages don't matter.

I like Purple Power degreaser as it seems to really etch things for the upcoming paint job.

Don

Latest posts

Back