Preserving/Protecting Rust Patina

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. I'm looking for any expertise/tech tips on how I might preserve & protect the original patina on my newly acquired 1956 Pontiac StarChief. Except for the floors, it's a solid car, and I'm pretty fond of the original paint and surface rust look. The car was originally a green/teal and white 2-tone. I don't like the white as much as the other colors, so I know I'll paint that part. The pattern of rust "drips" down the green/teal/turquoise doors is beautiful ! Very nice colors. I'm planning to go for an overall look that includes a completely painted roof (satin), and probably flames or pinstripes over rust patina. It's not really that I'm trying to get in on the trend......I just like so many of the patina'd rides that I see, and this car will only be "original" once. I can always change it later, but I don't want to jump in and go paint-crazy, when I could enjoy the way it looks now, for awhile. I have a Fine Arts background, and while I'm not a mechanic (!), I'm pretty good with color, paint, and things on the "artistic" end of the scale.

So far, the ideas I've seen knocked around, regarding preserving a rusted patina are:
1) Flat clear coat.....but I don't think it does anything to actually STOP rust.
2) Lemon Pledge......just read that somewhere. They said "it's just wax, and it's easy".
3) WD-40......it darkens the original rust color way down, but I'm sure it'd slow rust growth
4) Regular old car wax of any kind....but I want flat, not gloss
5) POR-15 "Clear".......does it really stay clear???
6) POR-15 .......don't want anything that changes the color to black
7)"Rust Converter" in the white bottle (Walmart), brush-on liquid....definitely changes color to black
8) "Rust Converter" spray (Walmart, same brand, black can)....using it on other cars, it didn't turn ALL rust black, but I don't want to risk ending up with a black finish
9) Rattle-can matte clear ......same issue as any clear--- doesn't really slow rust?
10) "Ankor Wax"....this is what I'm checking into these days. Sounds perfect. Wonder if there's a U.S. equivalent..?
http://www.busnbug.com/sb_clients/b...wax.cfm?v=80F2B0A5-9591-205B-5E387FD6CED27C85

Ideas? Advice?
1956 Pontiac StarChief
1957 Plymouth Belvedere
1961 Ford Fairlane

I'd probably stay away from the clear rattle cans, just because it is hard to get even coverage, that does not show up a month later. Wax is usually pretty good. Regular car wax may leave any rough spots, white. I am not sure I would coat my whole car in
wd40 just because of the smell. I don't think I would use any flamable liquid. The clear paint does seal rust by the way. Around here you could just leave it alone, (desert southwest), but that may not be the case where you live.
Welcome to the site.

Latest posts

Back