Price of Rat Rods

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boltbreaker

I am on the fence about something and wondered what your guys/girls opinion is. It is about the price of rat rods.
I bring it up because I here different opinion but not much is said about the creativity or the inovation translating into the dollar amount thats put on the For Sale sign. I here people say often that a rat rod shouldnt be for sale for more than say 8k, but if someone pays a shop to build their rat for them then it could very easily be up in the upper teens.
There was a car on another sight that stirred some controversy about the sale price and I was somewhat supprised to hear the contraversy about it because I can count numerous cars in my area that have sold in the low 20k range because a shop built it. I personally want to finish mine myself for the learning, experience, pride, and lack of funds:D. (I did have a shop do my frame and chop though.)
When I say a rat I mean a scratch built ride started from a body or cab, (chop job, channelled, etc) and scrounged parts from there.
Just wondering what some views where.

My .02

Yes, there was quite a stir on KB about a couple of egotistical builders. One of those cars sold and the buyer reported the car was actually a total piece of crap and the builder said that car would make him world famous. Another builder's car was also just so so and he was asking an incredible price. At KB or the HAMB for that matter, if you're full of it, they're definitely going to call you out. There was a thread here about a rat that sold for nearly $30K. It was a nice car but IMO could have been reproduced for less than half that price. Go figure! If you're building a car to learn and have fun, go for it and don't worry about any of this. But if you're building it to resell, that's another story. Just my .02.

Beercan

Yes, there was quite a stir on KB about a couple of egotistical builders. One of those cars sold and the buyer reported the car was actually a total piece of crap and the builder said that car would make him world famous. Another builder's car was also just so so and he was asking an incredible price. At KB or the HAMB for that matter, if you're full of it, they're definitely going to call you out. There was a thread here about a rat that sold for nearly $30K. It was a nice car but IMO could have been reproduced for less than half that price. Go figure! If you're building a car to learn and have fun, go for it and don't worry about any of this. But if you're building it to resell, that's another story. Just my .02.

Beercan

I agree one of the cars was built well and the other a mess. Just wondered. I am realizing now that this subject has problably been beaten to death.
I am builting mine to keep.
I went the priceless route.

If you want to build one to sell and make lots of money (and probably a lot of enemys), feel free to market the crap out of it and make it (sound like it's) more then what it really is. Personally I can't believe the price some to the cars have brought on ebay and even on some of the forums. Cars that are bringing 20 - 30K I wouldn't give you half of that for 'em.

I know in my case...I have about 4K stuck into my Studebaker so far which is about a grand more then I planned to get it running and on the road, but after building a few cars over the years, I learned I just can't stick to my budget (that's why the take longer to get on the road then I want too)

Really the bottom line is build the car you can afford and the one you intend to enjoy. This hobby is supposed to be about enjoying the automobile!

OK I will now get down off my soap box and crawl back under my rock :D

Are you asking if people build them for the price, as in they are cheap? Or asking if people build them for a low price to try to turn a profit?

Personally I don't build anything to sell. I build for the joy of building and driving. I generally buy all the cool stuff I want, and end up way over my projected budget. I set a 3K budget for my current project, and I believe I will put twice that in it, because I have done so with every other project. I figure it might be worth $8k when I am done with it, and I run a shop.It would probably cost twice that if someone paid me to build it by the hour, and it would probably be less detailed.

just my 2 cents, but a while back we (my dad and I) were trying to sell a 49 chev rat and eventually put it on ebay to sell because I couldn't find a buyer. I got 3 times as many questions about rust and motor, interior, etc. than a 59 corvette we listed that sold for over 10 times what we wanted for the 49 .
We were honest in our ad (probably too honest LOL) and had pics and all and still got question after question. Basically, I couldn't believe how much of a hassle it was to sell it compared with that corvette. I guess it has alot to do with what you guys are talking about, but the value of a rat (like a custom motorcycle) depends on what someone else is willing to pay. Definately a tough call on some of the stuff for sale. I hang bodies for a living and I have seen some hacked up stuff on some race cars from teams that win championships, thanks Scott

The prices

Ok I am a new guy here, only here for 4 months, lots of great people and great advice, these prices are only going to hurt us, if more and more people keep paying these high prices, for junk then the next time you or I find the old 30 somthing car or truck cab, that we want to make that next rat, the person that own's it will say you know that will bring 30gs when you finish it so I will take 4 grand for the cab and 1000 each for the doors, you want that grill shell for 500 and so on, I dont know about anyone else but I started my rat so I could spend some time with my boys and try to have some fun with it, we all traveled togeather to pick up the body, and when my 21 year old son saw these guys old rods at there house he was hooked, the son was in jeans, white tee, and greased back hair, he drove I think a 49 merc. the dad drove a chopped stud... truck, they had a T they had made into a 1/2 A with a 4 banger and dual carbs, there was an old straight axel gasser sitting there, it was a great trip for my boys and I as well, and yes I'm going to build this thing for me and the boys to have some fun. we need to try to keep this in check, and have fun so we can afford to do it all again. KENNETH

Ok I am a new guy here, only here for 4 months, lots of great people and great advice, these prices are only going to hurt us, if more and more people keep paying these high prices, for junk then the next time you or I find the old 30 somthing car or truck cab, that we want to make that next rat,...... KENNETH

You make a valid point, that is why I am saving old tin and stacking it up, they may be my projects or I may sell them, but Like you I think they will only be harder to find as time goes on. I own two Mustangs, that have only gone up in value, but that is not why I own them. I bought them a long time ago when I could afford them. I just wish I would have bought a stack of 5 window coupes.

I hope this area of the rod industry stays in check also. I about gave up on owning anything custom before because of the high prices. I flat out couldnt afford customs. Then I stumbled on this rat/jalopy/traditional world and it became possible for me to build and own something cool. If it doesnt stay within reason it is going to be difficult for the younger up and comers to get into it.
I have a young son that loves anything with wheels and a motor and it is great to have him learn things thu cars. I use to race motorcycle when I was younger and I learned alot of the basics in life thru that. I learned about safety, being prepared, competition and so forth. I hope he can learn some of these things thu rodding if he stays interested in that stuff.
I have a couple projects stored away for a rainy day. It looks like at the rate things are going in our area it could be difficult to get a reasonable project one day.

Theres always a good and bad side to every deal, the price of a rat rod is no exception. Theres always gonna be the "wanna be type" with a bucket full of cash who has to have it..! , and theres always gonna be the "forever horsetrader" who wants it for cheap.. the bottom line is whatever you have for "Sale" it's only worth as much as somebody is willing to pay ya for it.

This says it all....

the bottom line is whatever you have for "Sale" it's only worth as much as somebody is willing to pay ya for it.

On a normal day I can keep buying & selling as busness. Unfortunatly too many people get caught up in emotion when it should be viewed as busness. I am guilty of it when the "I have to have it" mode takes over. The older I get the more restraint I have.

Latest posts

Back