Primer & sealer?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

I'm struggling with what to paint my latest Model A sedan project (build thread coming at some point). It's currently primer gray, which I hate.

It needs plenty of hours of detailed body work to get it good enough to paint, but in the meantime, I need to change the color and seal it from rusting

Can I primer it white and use some kind of sealer to keep moisture from getting in? It's garaged but it's very humid down here. Or should I just paint it flat white and re-paint later?

I was told epoxy primer doesn't absorb moisture, I don't know for sure so don't rely on that. Talk to some paint dealers and they can tell you for sure, or tell you what to use to seal it.

That's true- it is waterproof but it is also not sandable after you put it down. It needs to be something I can sand off later.

Yea, from my understanding the epoxy primer/sealer would have to be topcoated within a certain time frame or would have to be re-scuffed....

PPG DP90LV is an excellent epoxy. Comes in black and can be sanded just like regular primer when your ready to do your final body and prep work.

Oh really?? I used DP90 once years ago. I tried to sand a run and gummed up the sandpaper immediately.

I googled the LV and found very little about it, other than it comes in 3 colors. Any idea what the "LV" stands for? I think the DP48LV (white) might be the ticket. Does it come out satin like the old DP90??

Last edited:
I use the DP90LV on a daily basis here in my shop and never have an issue with it being gummy unless the hardener has gone bad or it was mixed incorrectly. As far as what the LV mean that may be a Canadian designation as we have stricter environmental laws. Your product dries to a satin black, ours dries to a dark satin grey that they still call black. both still work the same though. You do have a 7 day top coat window where you don't need to sand it to apply filler or more primer but I still hit it with a red etch pad anyway. They are good for about a 320 grid sanding and are lest likely to sand through. I just feel better knowing there is a mechanical bond there as well.

If you plan on using an epoxy primer seal make sure you get one that is direct to metal. Some primer sealers need an etching primer first over the bare metal.

Lungs

Latest posts

Back