project blackburn(42 ford)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you thought about a pup tank for gas... that gasless fluxcore wire is crap and very messy. Your diffently headed in the right direction. Do you have box ?

i have thought about it a little i still have like 8 pounds of flux core left that i want to finish off first the biggest issue is finding a bottle. i do have a bed its off of a early 50s ford with full fenders and a few bullet holes

no work done to her today its raining but i should be able to get some things done during the week. i think tomarow i will go over to the steel place next door to my work and see if they will sponsor my build, i bet they will

oh and thanks for all the kind words and advice

Last edited:
nothing major done today i ran a die on the hood bolts and cleaned um up and bolted the hood on to see where i need my fenders to sit then i had to move sprinklers by then it was dark.

im trying to deiced the best way to mount my radiator support im defiantly going to need to notch something to get it fit right between the toyota frame rails i may end up cutting the bottom off the support and welding in a straight piece of metal instead of having the horseshoe on the bottom, on the plus side the support lines up perfectly with the factory toyota bumper bracket bolts, so there will be no need to drill and tap a new hole

well i hauled it over to my grandpa's shop today

062511112350.jpg

i got some brackets made for the radiator support. which turned out be a mild pain i think my passenger side fender was so bent that i couldn't get it to line up right so one of brackets sits up 1/4 inch higher than the other to make everything look even no biggie but it drove me crazy for a minute

062511131541.jpg

062511131549.jpg

062511160737.jpg

062511160745.jpg

062511190410.jpg

heres some pics of my steering collum and bracket i also built the rag joint but i think i might have to do something different with the joint Ive got to much of a curve but it will do for now

062511190515.jpg

062511190550.jpg

i would make sure i welded all the links on that chain well. Had a 2foot shifter made of chain one time . scary as hell when it broke haha whent back and welded it better . last prob I ever had

Wow! You've been busy since the last time I checked your build. I like your tow rig. :D

Get gas and save the flux core wire for when you run out of gas. If you need to keep your welder portable, maybe a 40cft tank would be a good idea. They are cheaper to buy, but the fills cost nearly the same as a bigger one. BUT they are more portable.

How much of a bend do you have on that rag joint? Be careful, steering is something you really don't want to fail!

i would make sure i welded all the links on that chain well. Had a 2foot shifter made of chain one time . scary as hell when it broke haha whent back and welded it better . last prob I ever had

Did someone maybe like to abuse the shifter a little? :D I doubt he'll have any trouble with that chain breaking - not much force on it really, but I could see his steering wanting to shift sideways in turns.

Would it be an idea to mount a rack on your 4wheeler for the welder? So you could leave it on it while you worked? Just a thought.

Wow! You've been busy since the last time I checked your build. I like your tow rig. :D
thanks but soon im going to have spend money and the problem is i dont have any lol

Get gas and save the flux core wire for when you run out of gas. If you need to keep your welder portable, maybe a 40cft tank would be a good idea. They are cheaper to buy, but the fills cost nearly the same as a bigger one. BUT they are more portable.
somone was telling me to use gas and flux core does anyone know how well that would work? im sure it would still be messy but maybe not quite as bad

How much of a bend do you have on that rag joint? Be careful, steering is something you really don't want to fail!
its not much but enough to where im a bit nervous but right now im just happy i can turn it to move it around i will probably re-do it with a better joint before i put it on the road

Did someone maybe like to abuse the shifter a little? :D I doubt he'll have any trouble with that chain breaking - not much force on it really, but I could see his steering wanting to shift sideways in turns.
lol im probably going to add more support to it anway i just wanted it to look like my collum was just hangin there

Would it be an idea to mount a rack on your 4wheeler for the welder? So you could leave it on it while you worked? Just a thought.

ive thought about it a little it would be nice to have it so i could keep my gloves helmet and so on, in one place

thanks guys i like having a cheering section[P

Keep in mind, you can't use gas outside in the wind. A breeze will blow the shielding gas away and your welds will be weak and full of impurities and holes.

If you can't afford to go gas now, you could at least get yourself a can of anti-spatter. It'll keep some of the spatter from sticking - less grinding.

ill give anti-spatter a try thank for the tip

i tossed the bed on just to see how it will fit im going to need to find some different offset wheel and maybe narrow it a little to get it looking decent but im not worried about it right now
062611164302.jpg

also note the calf in the back round his name is first because he was the first calf of the year and was born April 1st lol his mom abandoned him so we took him home and raised him and he was mad because he wanted his grain

Yeh I was speed shifting when it broke. Haha at that length it felt sprin loaded but got lots of looks ! You can knock alot of the splatter off using a big screw driver or pry bar as a scraper and hammer on the tuff bugers. Did it for years and still use flux at home

well i loaded up the old frame today im going to haul it off for scrap tomarow :( there is still a sweet banjo rearend underneath it but no seems to want it and i cant hold onto it forever but on the plus side i removed the brake/clutch linkage and started modifying it to work on the firewall instead of on the frame:) i think as long i reinforce the firewall enough i shouldn't have to worry about my linkage or bracket breaking. its almost overkill but i want to be able to stop when i want to

063011225544.jpg

063011225633.jpg

one question will a master cylinder from an 80s ford work fine with my yota calipers and wheel cylinders whitout blowing them out? (i have an un-used re maned one sitting around)

Last edited:
Yes it will work just fine but, you need to know what size the master cylinder bore diameter is and get the same size bore diameter for an 80s Ford.
If the bore is larger the brakes will have to be pushed harder to stop, if the cylinder is smaller it may not have enough volume to keep the pedal from having to be pushed too far to apply the brakes.
There's no worry about blowing out the calipers at all.

okay thanks after a little investigation i figured out the ford cylinder has a bore size of "1 inch and the stock toyota has a bore size of .9375

should i be okay using this mc then? i dont want to get it all fabbed up and find out it wont work

The yota is 15/16 and the Ford is 1" you can use it, the brake pedal will be a little stiffer though unless you lengthen your brake pedal arm (from the pivot to the foot rest) about 2". I would highly recommend finding a 15/16 master cylinder.
Check for a mst. cylinder from a manual brake application most of them a 15/16. ;)

okay thank you im a bit ignorant on a few things but hey thats why i ask questions

nothing major done with it for a while now :( but i did get a little motivated i paint my hood latch and FORD side thingys primer black i also polished the letters

i had no idea these pieces were made out of aluminum

oh and i did have an engine in it for a minute but it crawled out when i called its name dang dog anyway she didnt even give me enough time take a picture

070511200940.jpg

070511211745.jpg

Hey, we all have been ignorant at some point in our lives! :eek:
But now you're not on these mst cylinders ;)
That part look real good, the parts that look like aluminum may be pot metal which looks like aluminum only a lot more brittle and will usually be pitted on the older stuff.
Some of the parts are stainless and can be polished out with a buffer and jewelers rouge to look like new.
I've had real engines that stayed in about as long as the dog [S :confused: :eek: :mad: and was almost always my fault it broke :rolleyes: :p OK it was always my fault. :( :)

well sometimes breaking **** is all the fun

no major updates i ordered a valve spring tool for the flathead and i made the mistake of depositing all of my pay check in the bank and its not open on the weekend[S so i couldn't buy any much needed material :mad:

but i did get some more welding on the cab done and messed around with the idea of Frenching the headlights

before
070911195742.jpg

070911195752.jpg

after

070911200855.jpg

070911200907.jpg

i like them this way but i may end up putting in spacers of some sort to make the lights sit deeper

my pics dont do justice lol not the same angles

worked on it hard all weekend but didnt get much done i ended up fighting the engine trying to get the valves out. talk about a pain in the ass im going to need to buy 2 valves and 2 valve guides as of now i managed to pull 1 without much trouble

i managed to fix the frame work around the window

071711113450.jpg

071711113505.jpg

i added some bracing to the kick panel

071711191216.jpg

071711191222.jpg

i also bought this peice of 2 inch square tubing thats a 1/4 inch thick. it should work good for motor mounts

071711195054.jpg

071711195106.jpg

Latest posts

Back