project without welding exprience?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it's way south in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I was asking to see if you were close enough to come to my place and I would help you out.

thats a shame that wouldve been perfect. blademan lives about 15 min away though. idk all that im going to be able to do considering im 17 and still cant find a job. lol oh well i just dont want to bug my parents for money. thanks for the help though.

I agonized about buying a used MIG for some time until a grizzled welder told me that no one sells a perfectly good MIG unless its not perfectly good.

MIG guns get dirty with grinding dust, which will make the wire stick. It'll still weld but just not like it used to. You can get yourself a new gun liner, new gun, etc....but by the time you invest those $$ into an old welder.... Long story short, I sold some stuff, bought a new 230V and have never regreted it.

That said, Craigslist is full of ads from guys with xmas/father's day welders that have been used once or twice and are collecting dust....:D

"worked when new"

If you were to go out and buy a used welder, I'de reccomend searching for an old Lincoln Ideal Arc. Ive got a 220v mig that my father bought new in '78. I run it hot, and push .045 wire through it 5 days a week. It has all the neat different settings for purging, spot welding, arc welding..... No one understands why i use the relic on everything when i have two new ones. The thing is it works better than both of my Lincoln PowerMig 225s.

Ask DMW hes still abusing an old Lincoln. He can vouch for em.

They just dont make em like they use to.

"worked when new"

Ask DMW hes still abusing an old Lincoln. He can vouch for em.

They just dont make em like they use to.

The Idealarc I have is 40++ years old and will probably outlast me! I've had it 15 years now and before it belonged to my FIL who used it on a farm. Never had a single problem with it.

Once set right you can weld sheet metal or a battle ship.

005.jpg

The Idealarc I have is 40++ years old and will probably outlast me! I've had it 15 years now and before it belonged to my FIL who used it on a farm. Never had a single problem with it.

Once set right you can weld sheet metal or a battle ship.

005.jpg

Whered you find yours?

dude43,

I'm in nearly the same boat as you. I have very limited welding experience yet am anxious to get into building a rat. I'm a few years older than you, but am in the same basic problem. I have just had my dad teach me the basics of MIG on his 110V. My uncle has a good 220V MIG that I can use when I find a project truck. My dad took welding in highschool and that's it but he knows enough of the basics and has done enough over the years to still remember how. ;) So even if you can't find a program to get into, just see if there is a relative or friend of a friend who knows some stuff to get you going. Best of luck!

if ya want to lean how to weld and all that good stuff find a job at a local welding machine shop i had no welding experiance in high school and i took up a coupple of welding job and befor you know it you can weld anything from hevy stuff to sheet meatle then after that i went to a vo-tec and was welding there and then i went to the cole mines in Wyo all within about a year of learning how to weld for the first time

I agree with tinker. They probably won't let you weld until you're 18, but once you are allowed you'll get much better experience than a few hours in a class...worked for me anyway. I've heard countless stories of guys who took a class and then went to work-knew nothing, but after a few weeks with an old pro had it figured out.

Hey tinker, you ever been to Wyodak? I welded much of that 3500' long conveyor that goes through the culvert under I-90 by Gillette, WY.

After reading through this thread I started thinking and it made me realize how much I take welding for granted. If I couldn't weld or didn't have the equipment I'd be lost. It seems that almost everything I do on my projects requires some form of welding. If I want to do an engine or suspension change I think "no problem, I'll just weld up some new mounts". If I want to add some widget I think "no problem, I'll just weld up some brackets. The same goes for sheetmetal modifications too. This thread made me thankful that I have a machine and can weld. I'm not a pro like some folks here but I can weld.

I hope you guys can work it out I know the good welders on here like Bonehead, Likes 2Tinker, moreonthethrottle, and others are always willing to offer up help and advice.

[

Hey tinker, you ever been to Wyodak? I welded much of that 3500' long conveyor that goes through the culvert under I-90 by Gillette, WY.[/QUOTE]

no i spent all of my time out to Antalope,Black Thunder,and Cordarow mines every once in a while a little time in the shop but not much

Latest posts

Back