Pulled my motor/tranny... Good carb?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I pulled my sbc 350 motor/tranny the other day for $600. The 350 is a crate motor w/ 9,000 miles, but it came with 2 barrel manifold and carb. I ran across the guy that I bought my truck from and he sold me a 4 barrel intake manifold with a 600 q-jet carb for $50. He said he just pulled it off his 57 Chevy and runs great. I have no reason not to trust him cause' he always cuts me a good deal. He said he has a Holley carb but needs a spacer and he would trade out the carbs or sell me the Holley also (for cheap I'm assuming). My question is which is a better deal? I'm completely new and this is my first build. Also does someone have a good diagram or know where to find one of either of these carbs. I need to learn a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Kelsey Dum

Q-Jets are one of the most overlooked carbs out there and are terrific on a street engine. On most boats the Q-Jet is the carb people like Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo, and Pleasurecraft install on their 5.7 Chevy engines. Very dependable and if you stay out of the large secondaries you can get great gas milage.

On one boat I owned I drew a line on the throttle control where the secondaries would just start opening. If I stayed below that mark I got 8 gallons per hour, if I pushed it even slightly higher consumption rose to 12 or more gallons per hour.

I like em. :D

Don

Sticky floats!

The only problem I've had with them is sticky floats. As with all carbs... b sure u have an inline filter.

BoB

Latest posts

Back