Putting in my roof

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgo70

Well I started to feel lazy after reading Dmw56's post about unfinished builds so I got going. (actually I was at work:D).

I went out ready to do some patch panels and ended up with a roof. I had a sheet of 20g that I was afraid I was gonna kink so I put it up on top of the car to keep it safe and look what happened. I guess the proper way to do this is to form it with a curve front to back and side to side but I don't have any way of doing this so I kinda winged it. I welded the rear and sides to get this bow in the front and then pie cut it down the center. I'm gonna see how well I can form it now but I might have to cut it again.

I gotta say this was NO FUN AT ALL, but it was really satisfying after about five hours of crappy work. I must have gone around the roof about ten times with the welder doing about an inch at a time. I'll have to say I found this more difficult than a chop.

Sean

Attachments

• P7250499.JPG
    P7250499.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 67
  • P7250502.JPG
    P7250502.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 82
  • P7250504.JPG
    P7250504.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 69
  • P7250507.JPG
    P7250507.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 100
Thanks for the kind words, I'm trying to get motivated to go grind it down but I'm pretty beat. Funny how it feels so small inside now, might have to put in a sun roof. I'm actually looking forward to the chop now, think I'll try to sandblast it first.

Sean

Glad I got you motivated to work on your car. It looks good. Its hard to get roofs on like that when you got curves going in 2 directions. Now I'm the one that needs to get out there and get something done. Work on Bro' lets get it on the road! :cool:

Latest posts

Back