quarter eliptical questions?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtech

OK I am of course making changes as I go on building stuff and came up with a really cool looking way to mount the original spring mounts to my front axle to mount the quarter elipticals to but of course the only way this will look "cool" is if I go without shakles. I am pretty sure I can't do that due to the spring pack is mounted to the frame solid, but if anyone knows for sure I'd love to know either way.
Also have a question about how far apart the 2 quarter elipticals need to be at minumum from each othe? My frame will be pinched to 23" outside to outside in the front to the firewall then it opens up wider. I am using Merc split wishbone to a 51 F1 front axle that is flipped around so it is front steer as well.
Any input would be great, I am taking my time on this one do to some other commitments, but can't help fiddling around when I get the time, and of course we all know how that extra time tends to lead the imagination around.

Happy Rats all!

I've seen them with and without shackles in the front, I was shooting for no shackles on mine, and then a set of control arms running parallel to the springs.

I'd like to also hear what others think... I know you will change caster on suspension deflection, but I don't think it would cause a serious issue?

2008_0202Johns0025.jpg

Here's a shackle-less front set up we put on my son't '27 roadster. Gotta keep the length from the axle to the anchor/pivot point the same. Then there is very little caster change.

Latest posts

Back