quarter elliptical spring mount opinions please

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

84pete

Hey I am working on my spring mounts and have a couple ideas but would appreciate some input. I have considered u-bolts to the frame but don't really like the idea of two(the front-most) u-bolts holding the weight in tension. The next idea involves the round bar on top of the springs. I could anchor that to the frame and u-bolt the springs to the round bar to keep them in place side to side and to keep them from rattling but they would ride on the round bar.

In either setup I'm thinking a u-bolt on the rearmost part of the springs should work. Also I have two bars which will be parallel to and under the leafsprings to hold the caster.

I'm open to new ideas also...been stuck on this decision a while.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20111221_172439.jpg
    IMG_20111221_172439.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 99
Generally I have seen a pocket, with a bolt running through the existing holes in the spring. The springs are captured in a rectangular tubing pocket, about 4-6 inches long.

just to throw out something-- dont think the u-bolts in tension are that big a deal if they are quality bolts...

chevy and dodge have both slung a spring under a rear axle on different years and models (s-10's come to mind) and had the weight of the vehicle held by the bolts... just a thought...
i really wanted to do this type of front on my last build and got scared...lol or confused[S:D

hope you make it work.....- and share pics....

Latest posts

Back