Question about intake... Cracks

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bell

I found a really good deal on this intake...

aaaintake.jpg

Problem is, it has two cracks on one side... I don't think it would be a problem, as the BB Mopar has no coolant flowing through the intake and it looks like a couple washers would take care of spreading the load... BUT, I wanted to get some other opinions on it before I buy.
aaaintake2.jpg

Thanks for any input, JB

You might get by with washers, but the right way to do it would be to grind a groove on each crack and weld it up, then grind it smooth.........possibly even have it resurfaced on the gasket surfaces. Makes you wonder why it cracked in the first place.

Unless it was a smoking deal I would pass, personally.

Don

If your handy with the TIG welder or you have a buddy that is, follow Don's advice. Additionally, that crossover flows exhaust. On my 440's a melt up an old piston and fill the exhaust crosssover in the head. You could also use a race type valley pan with the exhaust crossover blocked. Either way it's gonna keep the heat down in that part of the intake and hopefully tame that problem.

Yes Young Man, do as you were told, v-out the cracks, warm the intake slightly and TIG that puppy up....Grind down really close to surface with 4-1/2 angle grinder with flap wheel, then flat file it perfectly flat. When hitting surrounding surface....blue it up and then blend it in. Professional repair....:cool:
AAAAH, yes, straight edge along the intake face to make sure she's completely flat.....hate for you to go thru all that and then bolt it back down and see it happen again....[;):cool:

Thanks for all the input fellas! I decided to pass on this one. I won a PERFECT Offenhauser 3x2 intake for less than this one ended for! :D

Latest posts

Back