QUestion and advice: model a chasis

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipMag

hey guys. seen some pretty killer projects on here and i am looking for advice.

so i have a 30 model a 5 window coupe. looking to z the frame and setup the suspension. frame is already boxed and has a jag rear. I don't like the stance. it is way too high and i am taking the rear out as i have a 9 inch to slide under it. i have a couple choices on front axles. friends have a 2, 4, and 6 inch drop axles.

so my question is... how much of a drop axle do i need if i am doing a z on the frame. and how much z do you recommend? i am just looking for advice as i have an idea of what i am going to do. all help is appreciated!

also if anyone is interested in the jag rear....

thanks again...
joe

Mine is a 4 inch drop with no front Z in the frame. Or I could have put 4 inches in a Z, and run a straight axle for the same stance. But to complicate things, I put a riser in above my spring mount to lower the frame some more. It all depends on the look you are after. Most front Zs are 3-4 inches, but some guys do more.
historyfrontinprogress2.jpg

2008_0701box0019.jpg

This is a SuperBell axle 4" drop, I think. As you can see, it is on a suicide perch, with a Posies reverse eye spring which is one inch lower than stock.

2008_0701box0018.jpg

The 2" By 4" frame is Z'd 4". The ground clearance at the bottom of the "Z" is 6". That is with a SBC engine, no fenders, etc. for front end weight.

I wish I could convince Zacho to put big meats on the back like your's. Your truck is darn near perfect.

thanks bob for those measurements...helps a lot! nice ride bone....killer! i was torn between big tires and not myself.... gonna try just old school cheater slicks and go from there...

i appreciate all the help. keep it coming! pics are always good help and motivation haha

Latest posts

Back