Question on Corvair steering box

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!
Below is a pic of my basic truck, 2X4 3/16 frame, very heavy, motor trans and adapter plate right at 1000#.

Will the reverse corvair box from RPM, rebuilt stock box, be strong enough or do I need one from Flaming River. I would prefer to support our members on RRR, RPM being one.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 50
As a general rule the Corvair works fine on a vehicle up to 2500 lbs. That truck will be close to that. I don't think the after market box will be any stronger than the OE box. With a few little changes you could use a Vega box. The Vega box would fit under the frame, right in front of the firewall on the front rail. You may have to shorten the hair pin and move the mount to make it fit.

I've never seen the Vega box used on traditional steering, if the pitman arm points down I believe it would be below my scrub line. Are there any other boxes that would mount on top of the frame rail?

I think you will be right at the upper level of the wieght for a corvair
I have a 302 and the big c6 transmission and I think it is around 800 and it works om

Latest posts

Back