Questions and Advice : Model A rat rod chasis

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipMag

hey guys. seen some pretty killer projects on here and i am looking for advice.

so i have a 30 model a 5 window coupe. looking to z the frame and setup the suspension. frame is already boxed and has a jag rear. I don't like the stance. it is way too high and i am taking the rear out as i have a 9 inch to slide under it. i have a couple choices on front axles. friends have a 2, 4, and 6 inch drop axles.

so my question is... how much of a drop axle do i need if i am doing a z on the frame. and how much z do you recommend? i am just looking for advice as i have an idea of what i am going to do. all help is appreciated!

also if anyone is interested in the jag rear....

thanks again...
joe

Well Joe, there are two ways to approach this subject. Either you can Z the existing frame, or build an entirely new one out of 2 x 3 or 2 x 4 box tubing. As crazy as it sounds, it would actually be easier to build an entirely new frame than Z the old one, IMO.

The reason I say that is because the stock Model A frame has an odd profile. It tapers smaller at the rear and at the front. To Z it you would have to play games getting those dimensions to meet up once you sever it. Plus, Model A frames were not all that strong when new, and now it is 80 years old and even more weakened. By building a complete new frame you are free to set the ride height wherever you want.

If it were me I would sell the frame and rear axle assembly intact to some streetrodder and use the cash to finance the new frame. By building a new frame you can also use something as mild as a 4 inch front axle and get is real low.

Don

Latest posts

Back