quick spindle q

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CROMAN69Z28

just a quick one this time guys. are all 37-48 spindles the same? got an A axle and ready to buy more parts. thanks in advance.

All 37 to 48 spindles will fit your A axle but there are minor differences in the spindles. 37 to 41 cars and 1/2 ton trucks use the same king pins and brakes and 42 thru 48 cars use the same king pins and brakes.

Here is a 37-41 spindle, referred to as a round back spindle.

40fordspindle.jpg

and here are 42-48 spindles.

48fordspindles.jpg

Functionally they are identical and both will go right on your model by using the kingpin set from the correct year group. 42-48 uses a slightly longer kingpin, but same diameter.

You can use 40-48 backing plates on either of the spindles, no difference whatsoever, except in 46-48 Ford went to a more simple 2 nut adjuster instead of the 4 nuts on the 40-45 backing plates. (actually, there were few cars made in 43-45 because of WWII.

The parts are so similar you could run a round back spindle on one side and a squareback on the other, or a early backing plate on one side and a later one on the other and it would make no difference. Except it would look goofy. :D

I have 40 brakes on one of my rods, and 46-48 on the other 2, and I prefer the later ones as you only have to play with two adjustment nuts, not 4.

Don

Oh, and some brake drums have the hub on the inside and some have the hub on the outside, but they all interchange. The ones with the hub on the outside are getting harder to find and are the ones you need if you want to modify Buick finned drums to run on the car.

brakes

If you buy the disk brake kit you dont need the adapter rings, they are for later hyd. backing plates for drum brakes, the complete kit is only 199.99 and works great, you will need to buy the spindle nuts also.

Do not use the stock A spindles. They are much weaker than the later model ones, and you will probably run into issues with steering arms and such. Stay safe and get yourself a set of '37-'48 spindles...

Latest posts

Back